I/O taking on water while sitting not moving

FelixDaKat

Cadet
I need some help. I have a 2005 FourWinns 180 - that is taking on water. I noticed it a few weeks back when I kept seeing the bilge spit water every few minutes. Had a mobile tech look at it to replace the bellows but when he pulled the outdrive off he tells me there is tons of gear oil in the bellow but that the bellows look good since the oil didnt look milky or anything the bellows probably arent the issue. He works on it and finds one source of the leak (hopefully video or pic attaches) Small part says he fixed it - 4 hours or time so he cost me close to $500. He also tells me that since the gear oil is leaking he needs to rebuild the whole drive ($2800) and wont just do a half job because his reputation is on the line. I decide to do the seal job myself with the help of a buddy who is super mechanically inclined. We finally reinstall the outdrive take it to the lake to test and it works just fine. We drive it around for a bit, I keep checking the water level in the bilge (I had some in there from rain already but nothing to worry about) the water started just under the float switch and stayed that way for about 20 mins of driving, even checked at idle no wake zones too. I was starting to get excited that this was resolved but then while waiting for my turn at the ramp I check again and see that the float switch is about to engage, it does. I set the stopwatch on the phone and the bilge engages again this time within about 5-7 minutes, it drains again then engages again with 5-7 minutes. This boats motor area is very tight not easy to see around. Anyone one have any ideas?? I've gotten very little use out of it so far and while its a beatiful boat it has not been good to me yet aside from the day I bought it - thats the last time it didnt drain like a stream and I've only gotten 3 uses out of since purchasing it. I dont want to but I really starting to regret this purchase.

Attachments

• 345495014_6094443100669856_5206309852601703037_n.mp4
    3.3 MB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
What motor?

Looks like an easy fix but need to actually understand what I'm looking at. If you don't know what that is, back away a bit so we can see where it's coming from

FelixDaKat

Cadet
What motor?

Looks like an easy fix but need to actually understand what I'm looking at. If you don't know what that is, back away a bit so we can see where it's coming from
That part has been fixed but its still taking on water. I am looking for other ideas outside of that part. Its a 4.3 GL.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Even putting your cellphone on a selfie stick and taking video can help find that kind of a leak. Those kinds of leaks are frustrating; good luck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like a rubber cap covering a Tee fitting that is now broken

Bogusgig

Recruit
Is the engine running while taking on water? or just sitting at the ramp no engine? Sorry I don't have any suggestions, I just want to know in case I see something like this.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a rubber cap covering a Tee fitting that is now broken
Agree with Scott. Looks like a rubber cap with a clamp on it that has aged and split right at the top.
Take it off and try to match it up at the hardware or auto parts store.. If you can't find a match, maybe even put a short section of hose on with a plug in it.

Might be the cheapest fix you ever do on a boat.

FelixDaKat

Cadet
Is the engine running while taking on water? or just sitting at the ramp no engine? Sorry I don't have any suggestions, I just want to know in case I see something like this.
While its running it does not appear to be taking on water but when it sits it fills

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Leak between the Raw Water Pump and the Transom Plate. When Engine is running air will be sucked in, so no leak, but when Engine off, water is able to leak out

FelixDaKat

Cadet
Leak between the Raw Water Pump and the Transom Plate. When Engine is running air will be sucked in, so no leak, but when Engine off, water is able to leak out
I'm confused a bit. My water pump is on from of motor away from transom. Can you clarify a bit?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Your engine has 2 water pumps. The circulating pump, where a fan would be attached in a car/truck, and a Raw Water pump, that is either mounted on the Crankshaft, or driven by a belt, and located quite low

alldodge

Staff member
Guys in post 2 he was asked what motor?

He does not answer the question
I'm confused a bit. My water pump is on from [guessing Front] of motor away from transom. Can you clarify a bit?
If its on the front then it's a VP

Sometimes getting info is like pulling teeth o_O

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Guys in post 2 he was asked what motor?

He does not answer the question

If its on the front then it's a VP

Sometimes getting info is like pulling teeth o_O
He answered in Post #4

"4.3 GL", making it a VP

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Without more information and a good close-up pic from the side, not sure we can help more

Looking at the hose clamps it is not factory, so it's either a DIY flush kit or something else.

dave8311

Seaman
He stated the leak in the video was already fixed and that there must be another one, unknown location.