I/o pontoon prop help

g4olfer

Cadet
Have a 2007 26 ft Benningtion Tri Tune with 5.0 MPI alpha 1, 19 pitch 15 3/4 prop, it is a stainless mirage. At low speeds boat is hard to turn especially in no wake and putting on the trailer.
Top speed 42 MPH, 5200 RPM(think been a couple of weeks)

Any suggestions on prop that may help???
Thanks

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: I/o pontoon prop help

At low speeds boat is hard to turn especially in no wake and putting on the trailer.
Any suggestions on prop that may help???
Thanks

Hard to turn how? cant turn the wheel? or you turn it and it goes straight still?

I just looked at your toon online. Man that is some kinda awesome barge you got there.....:D

g4olfer

Cadet

turn and still goes straight, it is real slow to get front end around without being in throttle. It is a pain when at the beach when busy trying to get out and also when trying to come up to a dock in the wind.

Bifflefan

Commander

2 things come to mind,

1 use a trolling motor at the bow to help steer it, That could take 2 people working together.

2 some kind of a fin mounted to the bottom aft of the toon's, they should act as pivit points and help it turn. Id do some research on that one tho, I may be talking out my hinny.

I added another note to my prevoius post also.

g4olfer

Cadet

thanks, really like boat only real problem with it is putting on the trailer in the wind and turning in around marina's etc. Hopefully someone will have good info to help out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usually a 4 blade will control better at no wake speeds.
Sometimes if slow to turn you can reverse and steer to pull the stern arpound
for a tighter turn.You might check that the steering is adjusted to get full steering arc.

g4olfer

Cadet

Have checked and steering is full arc, may look into a 4 blade. Any other info?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Have checked and steering is full arc, may look into a 4 blade. Any other info?

Unfortunately the three logs probably act like keels resisting turning. Your not likely to get the bow to come around much and the stern is really deep in the water.
If you have people aboard they might go to the bow and then maybe the stern will come up enough to let it come around.If you have to turn in tight quarters may be a bow mount
remote trolling motor.Use like a bow thruster.