I/O in a tritoon

utfisherman

Seaman
I'm looking at at tritoon with a I/O. I haven't seen it yet in person yet from what I can see is it has a OMC cobra outdrive and motor in the center toon.
Any advice or comments or should I run away from it
Thanks

utfisherman

Seaman
I've never owned a pontoon before. This is the first one I've seen. Years ago I helped build some house boats we put diesel engine with jet drive in the pontoons. I'm curious about how these work out or if it's a dud

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All I can add is that when I was in the market for a used pontoon boat two years ago, every time I came across a boat in very good condition at an attractive price, it was an I/O. Based on demand/price, it appears than most buyers don't want an I/O and that brings the price down. The word of mouth is because the engines are more challenging to work on when they need service.

utfisherman

Seaman
All I can add is that when I was in the market for a used pontoon boat two years ago, every time I came across a boat in very good condition at an attractive price, it was an I/O. Based on demand/price, it appears than most buyers don't want an I/O and that brings the price down. The word of mouth is because the engines are more challenging to work on when they need service.
I'll have to look at that I didn't think of that. I wonder how they handled was my biggest concern

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would run for two reasons.
first, its an OMC (read that as Obsolete Marine Company)

second, unless you have a full shop of equipment, maintenance of an I/O in a toon log is difficult. think of your car, now change the radiator by going thru the trunk. many times routine maintenance requires removing the drive, then removing the motor

ahicks

Captain
Second the big issues regarding servicing an I/O, and doubling down on the fact it's an OMC I/O.

Stay with the outboards now, and thank yourself later. I would suggest you do the job right and go 4 stroke outboard for a decision you will never regret.

Beyond all that, an I/O pontoon works great. They are heavy, but they generally have big pontoons so they support that weight well. Do not believe for a second though, unless you get a fairly new one (and with an OMC powered 'toon, that just not going to happen) it's not going to be very fast when it comes to towing tubes or anything. The tri toons also require special trailers too.....