I/O boats are loud

reelfishin

Captain
Re: I/O boats are loud

Riding in an open top boat at 50 mph will never be any quieter than riding in a convertible or sticking you head out the window at 50mph.
Wind noise is wind noise, there's not much you can do about that other than a closed cabin, and then your not likely going to be doing 50 mph unless its a race boat cockpit.

My 18' cuddy cabin has a full enclosure, it only tops out at about 38 on a good day and wind noise is not much of a concern, if there is wind noise I can't here it over the sound of the water slapping the hull and the 135 hp V4 screaming at 6,000 RPM.
Until the newer motors started coming out, I never gave the noise a second thought, and really still don't. Yes, it would be nice to have a newer, quieter motor, but not at the price they want for one. I have $1500 in my whole boat, and it ran fine when I got it. A new deck and some paint and all was well. It will be a long time before one of those super quiet modern motors gets old enough or cheap enough for me to consider one.

lucky51

Cadet

I don't notice the 7.4L underneath the sundeck on my Starcraft 2210 LX. That is untill I hit the Captains Call switch and open the through hull exhaust. That is music to my ears!

75reinell

Seaman Apprentice

I don't notice the 7.4L underneath the sundeck on my Starcraft 2210 LX. That is untill I hit the Captains Call switch and open the through hull exhaust. That is music to my ears!

Music to mine as well. Love the sound of good clean exhaust.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that a test drive on a harley. they are fairly quiet runner today. the the wind etc, is very noise. you are use to riding is an closed vehicle with a/c. on your trip to see the boat, put all the windows down, then you will be accustom to the noise.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

that a test drive on a harley. they are fairly quiet runner today. the the wind etc, is very noise. you are use to riding is an closed vehicle with a/c. on your trip to see the boat, put all the windows down, then you will be accustom to the noise.

Funny thing is they've been real quiet for years, you still have to make them loud.

One friend bought a new one 10 years ago at least and was worried cause of the tranny whine- drilled out the baffles and then it sounded fine.

mphy98

Lieutenant

You can always buy a sound deadener from any auto stereo shop and it installs easily.

reelfishin

Captain

The bottom line is that boats are generally noisy you don't have the rubber motor mounts, mufflers and catalytic converters to quiet engine noises and vibrations and you don't have a sprung suspension to cushion the ride.
Most boats travel upwards of 30mph or more, so wind noise is inevitable in an open cockpit, even more so, waves crashing against the hull will also no doubt add to the noise level. If you want quiet, maybe a sailboat would be in order but even then their not totally quiet on a rough day.
There is something calming though about the sounds of the sea and nothing but the waves and wind. I often take my 12' boat out for an early day row. It's good exercise, and I even sometimes catch breakfast.

Fishstick

Seaman

My river boat is quiet.

s7_319660_imageset_01.jpg