I need to Rant/Vent.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Just before christmas my fiance' asked if I would help on a project to help one of her co-workers (teacher) with a christmas present that would assist someone who was in a bad spot. The present would be to help remodel a kitchen in a "while you were out" type of scenario. I of course, agreed to help.<br /><br />Well I got there, thinking I would replace some cabinets, and lay some linolium. Well it had a suspended ceiling and upon removing that there was some nasty drywall, and behind that a lat and plaster ceiling. When I removed all this I discovered that the ceiling joists were 2 x 4's!!!! To make maters worse there was a 1000lb CI tub in the bathroom above this. :eek: <br /><br />I reinforced the entire ceiling structure with 2 x 6's and removed all the old lighting fixtures and replaced with modern, variable, can lighting in a proper matrix, installed a blue board and plaster ceiling and finished that. Then the floor was just as bad.......I finished that and topped it off with the new free floating tongue and groove hardwood floor/pergo.<br /><br />Having done the lighting I realized that the entire electrical in the room was a disaster, yep, redid all that. The walls were water damaged, so out with the lat and plaster walls, in with new blue board and plaster walls. (Leaking Chimney, fixed) Plumbing was a hack job, updated that.<br /><br />You get the picture. Ann had taken up a collection from her co-workers and friends and we came up with about 900 bucks. With this we got new cabinets, countertops, floors, lights, an new/used refrigerator and stove/oven, drywall, mud, etc. Yep, we were really bargin shopping and did what I thought was an incredible job. I had to throw in about 400 extra to do all the unplanned repairs. We completely gutted everything and replaced with new. This woman didn't even have a refrigerator or a stove. We also got a washer and dryer donated for her.<br /><br />I have given about a dozen weekends labor (I somehow became the sole worker on this project after the first weekend) since christmas to finish this in a safe and modern way, and in a way that transformed this into a kitchen - she was using it for storage before we started. <br /><br />To date this womans contribution has been to remove 4, yes 4, tiles off the old wall behind the backsplash. She hasn't lifted a broom, bought a beer, she even has us pay to have a key made so we could work on the house while she slept at her boyfriends house. (2nd one since the project started.) If I missed a weekend the dirt pile that was swept up was right where I left it two weekends ago.<br /><br />I feel like an idiot/sap/fool/clown/bozo/moron... It is taking all my willpower not to tell this bitc# what I think of her and her lifestyle. I finished the job because I said I would. Just because she has no class does not mean I should act the same way. Well it is done except for painting, (we bought the paint) and that is her baby. This was a medium project that got huge and I spent the past four weekends without seeing hide nor hair of the "person". Should I tell her off or let it go. I really feel taken advantage of... :mad: :mad: <br /><br />FYI I haven't spent a minute in this house without Ann. She has also contributed her own money in addition to the original outlay. (BIGTIME on her part, the 400 is between the two of us) She won't let me do anything without her helping. Even if it is just to be there to keep me company. She is just as upset.

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: I need to Rant/Vent.

Just tell her. How you feel and be done with her. :( .........just my 1/2 cents worth ......wayne

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes my friend, you and your help has been taken advantage of by a blood sucker.<br /><br />The kind I speak of that would not work in a pie factory and expect some poor saps(you) to help them out all the time.<br /><br />Just tell her how you feel and move on.

tylerin

Commander

I hope one day you and your fiance can laugh about this one day Pointer. Right now I'm sorry to hear it

JB

Yo, Pointer.<br /><br />Volunteer favors and gifts are always a little bit in self interest. We hope for, usually expect, gratitude in return. That doesn't always happen. :( <br /><br />When it doesn't, write it off. Bad manners and selfishness are not common, but we all run into them once in a while. :mad: <br /><br />Settle for the satisfaction that you have done a good thing, and that we iboaters admire you for it. :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

"No good deed ever goes unpunished."<br /> <br />You have a lot more patience than I would have. <br /> <br />Now you know why they were in a "bad spot". They probably just don't care.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Make up a card/poster and say "Thanks for all your help in remodeling your kitchen, (insert her name)."<br /><br />Put a little bit of guilt in her. <br /><br />Or perhaps hit her up with a bill!<br /><br />Just kidding. :) ;) <br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

I have been the victim of being used in the same respect Pointer on more than one occasion. I now blame myself for being stupid enough to offer.<br /><br />I think we get reminded that there are givers and takers in this world, people like us are givers and the takers of the world love people like us.<br /><br />The last time I went over the top doing something for someone, not only did they not have a clue of how much work and time was involved they claimed to have done it themselves as I was told later.<br /><br />I promised myself from that day forward if I ever had a notion to take on a job for someone else I'd better ONLY do it because it makes ME feel good. No longer would I expect appreciation, thanks or even a return favor.<br /><br />Therefore those special projects and jobs are reserved for those I truly care about.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br />Make up a card/poster and say "Thanks for all your help in remodeling your kitchen, (insert her name)."<br /><br />Put a little bit of guilt in her. <br /><br />Ken
That's just it, they feel no guilt.<br />All they feel is that someone owes them something.<br />All they care about is seeing how much they can get out of someone. :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />I have nothing for these type's of people.<br /><br />Different story if they are trying, but as the old saying goes, you can't help those that won't help themselves.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I feel bad for ya bud but count this one as lesson learned. Take the high road and grumble to the future misses but let the leech out of this. One day she may realize why no one will help her or she may never figure it out. Regardless you tried but some people just cannot be healped.<br /><br />Better luck next time and don't stop trying to help people, just retain the ability to say no when warrented also. ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I hope this doesn't ruin your spirit, POINTER94. Someone with your ability and willingness to help is most admirable. Just be a little more selective. There are plenty of little old ladies and gents, sick or disabled people who, in their day, have been good contributors to society, who could now use a hand.

LadyFish

Admiral

I agree Boomyal. It shouldn't dampen your spirit as far as giving. It hasn't mine. Like you said, just be more selective. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

BTW POINTER, care to make a trip to Kentucky?<br />I have a few things that need done. :p ;)

18rabbit

Captain

Pointer – I have a $20 budget and this kitchen that needs a little work done. If you and Ann are available… :D <br /><br />Seriously, what you have written about scares me. I am guessing this woman did not get permits?!? If she can’t offer a simple “thanks” I suspect she is of the mindset that your ‘charity’ is not without liability. I would worry that she may come back later and try to pin me down as the cause of something else that goes wrong. Gosh, I really hope not.<br /><br />Nothing you can do. Sorry to hear about this. I hope Ann doesn’t have to see this woman everyday. On the positive side, Ann sounds like a great gal!!! ;) You are lucky to have someone like her…and that beats out all the other negative crap, any day!!! :) :) :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey, it's not all bad. I just never, ever experienced a person so self absorbed and selfish in my entire life. And (like all us rightous folks), I feel compelled to tell her how inappropriate her actions (lack there of) have been. But you should never teach a pig to sing (It doesn't work and only upsets the pig) and therefor it will go the way of all ideas spauned by anger should go.<br /><br />On the upside. I got to buy some new tools, and I found out that Ann and I work well together. This girl will get her hands dirty and is willing to learn and apply what she learns. Important to know in that we are going to spend our lives together. We both love old houses and that usually means work. Knowing that I can count on her to be an active part of day to day trials of life is a big bonus.. :) <br /><br />I learned a few things in the process and made a beautiful space for the next owners. I just couldn't imagine anyone being this way. I shocks me to no end and therefor I had to blow some steam. Ann keeps apologizing for getting me involved but that isn't her place. I am happy to help everyone (even people in Kentucky and San Fransisco :D ) cuz it make me feel good to help those who NEED it. I am in no way sullied by this one person's actions, there are many in need, sometimes myself, and I hope that the next time something comes up, I can do as good a job as this one. I just can't do things half-a$$ed or half done. (I am seeing a shrink for that one :p ) Leaves a hole in me when I do.<br /><br />Thanks all for listening to this rant. I just need to convince Ann that this is not her fault...

18rabbit

Captain

This girl will get her hands dirty and is willing to learn and apply what she learns.
I love a woman that can be trained!!! Does she have a sister? :D :D :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Rabbit,<br /><br />Dude you are priceless... :D <br /><br />Sorry, Only child.. :( <br /><br />She figure out what to do with a bikini long before I met her. WOOO HOOOO. :p

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by 18Rabbit,<br /> Seriously, what you have written about scares me. I am guessing this woman did not get permits?!? If she can’t offer a simple “thanks” I suspect she is of the mindset that your ‘charity’ is not without liability. I would worry that she may come back later and try to pin me down as the cause of something else that goes wrong. Gosh, I really hope not.<br />--------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Now that's scary :(