I need help with a 9.9 evinrude

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I need help with a 9.9 evinrude

i think you found your problem replace the coils and leave the fuel mix alone you need to be using 50 to 1 and you are doing that now

G DANE

Commander

Stream_fisherKY<br /><br />Hi again. The reason why i wanted you to check spark, was i know theese motors sometimes develop coilproblems. A coil can however be cracked and give a good spark anyway. The cracks then only means it will soon be time to change the bad coil. Plugs foul by wear, bad burn or too rich mixture. ( not gasoline/oil mixture, but gasoline/air mixture). I have had a motor which really gave me a hard time fouling plugs, untill i found out a former owner forgot to put the little rubber gasket in the middle of the carbureator in, after cleaning carbureator some time. The gasket is in the middle around the main jet, where the gasoline is injected from the bowl op into intake. If this gasket is missing you always run on very rich mixture, except from iddle which is almost normal.

G Dane:<br /><br />Thanks for the insight. Like i said, my knowledge of these is limited, as this is the first i've ever owened. How difficult a task is the carb? I would like to check for problems there but don't wanna bite off more than i can chew. As soon as my manual arrives in the mail i think i'll be tearing into it. Wish me luck.

G DANE

Commander

Stream_fisherKY<br /><br />I am sure you can do it. By finding the cracks in coils, you already showed you can use your eyes and see what is ok or wrong. The carbureator is only 2 nuts at main gasket and four screws to remove bowl, then you´r in there. Get your manual and try - good luck.

G Dane:<br />thanks for the shot of confidence. I appreciate it. I was unsure of the contents of the carb because i've never done an outboard carb. I have spent some time playing with carbs for old cars (pontiacs mostly) but never opened an outboard. I think i'm going tear into it an see what i can find, what's the worst that happens? i don't get it right and keep trying? that's half the fun anyway. Thanks for everything.

G Dane:<br />Retested the plugs and it appears as though they have a pretty good spark from the coils. The coils are on my replace list but can i rule this out as the culprit of my problems? I just read a post about decarbonizing an engine and i'm sure that's something that's not been done to mine in a while. Could a carbon buildup be the cause of my problems? and what can i do to correct this? Also, i have heeded your suggestion on the carb and ordered a carb gasket kit and a new fuel pump diaphram. As soon as my manual get's here i'll be ready to replace those. Also i read about the importance of changing the impeller so i have ordered one of those as well. How difficult a job is that? Thanks for the help, you've all been great and without you guys i prolly would've given up on this little engine and sunk her to the bottom of the lake.

G DANE

Commander

I just came across Alcans post in this thread. Try to theck the fuel pump. It is located on the right side of motor, seen from the control side. Just follow the fuel hoses. It is driven by the airpulse from motors intake. If the diafragm has a leak, the cylinder will eat fuel right from the pump, besides the carb. Unscrew the pump from motor, but leave the hoses on. Attach fuel line to motor. Squeze primerbulb till resistance. Squeze bulb for some time, firm but not violent. I fuel drips out of the little vacuum hole towards engine, your problem is there !

G Dane<br />Thanks for the info. I am (un) patiently awaiting the arrival of my service manual so i can get started on my engine. I think it should be here in another day or two and i will be opening the engine up as soon as it gets here. Question: how hard is it to check the rings on your pistons? i was thinking about doing that since the engine had been sitting for some time. Also, if you could give me any advice on maintainence tips i'd be most appreciative (such as the impeller which i knew nothing about). Thanks so much, i'll let you know what happens when i get her open.

G DANE

Commander

Stream_fisherKY<br /><br />Now I won´t be throwing more ideas at you, before you get started. I was wrong, the fuel pump is on left side of your engine, not right. You can check the piston rings by mesuring compression. If compression is 90 or more on both, rings will be O.K. Maybe your engine needs decarb, i understand your gasoline isnt as good as ours.<br /><br />Maintenance ? The impeller should be changed every second year. The lower unit oil, with a good marinegrade oil, at the end of each season. The gear oil is designed to absorb a little water if it gets in, therefore fresh oil before winther. Lubricate all links under hood every year, when you runn motor last time of season, spray oil in motors airintake, while running. Flush cooling system with water mixed with preservation oil at end of season, and run engine till carb is emty. Start new season with fresh plugs and fuel. Good luck, write me if i can be of any help

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Stream,<br />When you get your manual, check to be sure you're using the right spark plugs in that little devil. ;) <br />Backlash

compression is off... but good. I have 150 in the lower cylinder and 120 in the upper. Go figure? Anyhow i'm gonna change rings to see if it helps. The manual, and some hands on, have taught me great deals about engine performance, maintainence, and operation. I now understand how 90% of the bugger works. Still don't know a lot of troubleshooting but i now have a better understanding of what's normal. The pistons were slightly carbonated on top but other than that everything, upper and lower, looked pretty good. Nothing had visible damage and it seems as though she might have just needed to be cleaned and cared for.