I need help/advice to fix my 14.6 ft Alumicraft v-bottom boat from scratches/gouges and cracking sealer in the front bottom.. Thanks!

CaptStripSet

Recruit
This question is a 2 part question regarding fixing some damage sustained to my boat... I would appreciate any and all help very much! I hope to one day use that information and help others!

First Damage: I became aware by accident that my keel roller split in two and my boat got scraped and gouged from the keel roller assembly including the rivets and 2 gouges... I have tried asking some individuals who said this damage is mostly superficial as I have had the boat out many times without leaks after the damage...but I rather deal with it and fix it so I don't have issues in the future.. I am not sure what sanding/grinding/buffing wheel i should use? I bought "Goop Coat it" to seal the bottom of the hull as I used this boat regularly in western Montana rivers with rocky substrate and sharp objects.. I was wondering if I should jb weld and prime before doing so? The first 2 pictures are the damage and the keel roller assembly that did so

Second Damage: The second damage I found getting ready to clean the boat thoroughly in order to upkeep and get ready for the coat it on the bottom of the hull and it is quite dirty... the material that is cracking is foamy and i am not sure what it is exactly or what I should do to fix it and prevent leaking... Should I remove the foamy material and clean it then use epoxy, silicone, flex seal, rhino lining, gluvit, etc??? I am at a loss and love this boat so any and all information would be greatly appreciated! God bless folks!

Attachments

• IMG_20231126_140559.jpg
    IMG_20231126_140559.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20231126_140618.jpg
    IMG_20231126_140618.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240322_185832.jpg
    IMG_20240322_185832.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240322_185825.jpg
    IMG_20240322_185825.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
KEEL DAMAGE: IF YOU BOAT IN ROCKY RIVER, I SUGGEST YOU PUT A KEEL GUARD or Keel Shield ON THE HULL.

The foamy stuff inside is a sealer that manufacturer put between the hull and the keel when they riveted it on. The part that is exposed is not sealing anything, nothing wrong with it. If you want it to look better, you can cover it with something, maybe rhino. Maybe some 3M 5200.

But no sillycone, it does not belong in a boat.

CaptStripSet

Recruit
KEEL DAMAGE: IF YOU BOAT IN ROCKY RIVER, I SUGGEST YOU PUT A KEEL GUARD or Keel Shield ON THE HULL.

The foamy stuff inside is a sealer that manufacturer put between the hull and the keel when they riveted it on. The part that is exposed is not sealing anything, nothing wrong with it. If you want it to look better, you can cover it with something, maybe rhino. Maybe some 3M 5200.

But no sillycone, it does not belong in a boat.
Thanks so much bud! That puts my mind at ease! I will definately look into a keel shield for the hull!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I feel your pain on the failed keel roller damage. Mine split as well and the gouges look similar. I had no leaks so I just painted over the scratches and cussed at it a lot !! Did replace with one of the yellow poly rollers, no more rubber rollers on my trailers !!

CaptStripSet

Recruit
I feel your pain on the failed keel roller damage. Mine split as well and the gouges look similar. I had no leaks so I just painted over the scratches and cussed at it a lot !! Did replace with one of the yellow poly rollers, no more rubber rollers on my trailers !!
thanks man i am going to do the same!