I need computer help...seriously!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Back story; Yesterday I was...FORCED...to do updates via Microsoft pushing it at me for weeks now. So I allowed the updates for WIN 10 updates. After at least TWO HOURS of snail crawling efforts, it finally finished, but then the problems started. Not only does the screen look different, it also has "Cortana" pop up seemingly every touchpad movement. I can't get it to stop even after trying so many ways via the typical instructions from so many on the net. I tried basically everything I know of. And even after restarting a few times, it is still popping up every touchpad movement from the right to the left on any screen or with other program running. I tried disabling it via task manager, and even tried unsuccessfully to delete it out of the startup option. How can I get rid of it for good??????????????????? It only did it three times typing this help wanted message right now!

southkogs

Staff member
There is a way to turn off Cortana (Look HERE), but I've not had to do that in Windows. It doesn't tend to automatically start up for me.

tpenfield

Staff member
I'd offer some help, but my Mac just updated to the new 'BigSur' version. Still figuring things out :rolleyes: :unsure:🤪

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well for what it's worth, I TRIED both ideas posted above. The second one by @alldodge didn't work out since my list of files seemed to not have the file needed in my drop down list to even change. Yeah, go figure. Every other listing was on par BUT the one needed to change... And I played with that for some time. Then I tried @southkog 's version and after fighting that as well, I did manage to implement all the instructions provided with that idea. It took some time but I set everything as directed and then did a restart like instructed. I honestly though that was going to do it, but within seconds of getting the laptop back up, that stupid Cortana banner popped up wanting me to sign up for it, like usual. It isn't as frequent as before, but it still pops up... Computers, why can't the leave well enough alone... I didn't even want any updates, but it popped up so often telling it was going to update one way or another. And I could pick the time, OR it would do it for me! I need that banner pop up to STOP! When it pops up it takes up about a third of the screen, covering over whatever I'm doing at the time. I have to wait about two to three second to get the touchpad working again because it locks the curser movement as well. After I get the touchpad curser moving again, I then have to close that banner out...until it pops up again in a few seconds or minutes... The pain, the pain...

However, please don't think I honestly don't appreciate the assistance, because I absolutely do! Obviously I am not as computer savvy as everyone else in the world. I try, but just not my ball of wax...

alldodge

Staff member
This was from Toms guide

How to disable Cortana​

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
  2. In Task Manager, click the Startup column.
  3. Select Cortana.
  4. Click Disable.
  5. Then, open the Start menu.
  6. Find Cortana under All Apps.
  7. Right-click on Cortana.
  8. Select More.
  9. Click on App settings.
  10. Turn off the switch next to 'Runs at log-in.'

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
GM - First I suggest you allow Windows to notify you when an update is ready to go. Usually it will update at shutdown or restart. If you have not been applying regular updates, when you finally do update everything needing updated will take forever because the intermediate updates are added on to the normal update.

Thanks for the tips using Task Manager, AD. I was writing that method when I got the notice about a new post. Saved me some time. :)

When Windows 10 first came out I followed some method to kill it and it doesn't even show in Task Manger anymore.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think I have "disables" set to (0) and ever possible idea I could possibly find now concerning the Cortana Banner popping up. So many times my computer isn't configured like some instructions are listed. However, I have covered everything I have seen, read and instructed so far. For some reason, when I disable Cortana, in a few minute it is back to enabled again like some other app is running reconfiguring my computer on the fly... IDK

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the cortana banner is asking you to sign up then i'd suggest you sign up, then disable it as per instructions above. Not sure this will work but the problem might be that the update is detecting that you don't have cortana and it REALLY wants you to get it!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the cortana banner is asking you to sign up then i'd suggest you sign up, then disable it as per instructions above. Not sure this will work but the problem might be that the update is detecting that you don't have cortana and it REALLY wants you to get it!
I have been fighting this pop up Cortana banner ever since Microsoft forced their latest update on me. And after searching the net and trying everything I found to the letter, including the suggestions on here as well, it still pops up sporadically.

And I have noticed a pattern with it now. It comes and goes in a timely periods. I won't pop up for a few minutes, and I get the feeling I finely defeated it, and then it pops up every time I move the curser from right to left. I can move the curser left to right and it never ever pops up. But move the curser via touchpad from right to left and bingo, it pops up.

And it seems something resets Cortana back on ever time I disable it and try to remove it from the startup menu. So I know there is a software file somewhere doing that, but where? I did notice that a guy on the YouTube did suggest signing up and then disabling it. Don't know if that works, but nothing else has yet. I'll try it. I mean what possibly can it do more then what it is doing now...

Funny how I can easily remove any other app, but not the Cortana app. It is locked somehow. I can and have disabled it many times in many different places and even set a few 32bit words to "0" to disable it too. But it still pops up.

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try...can't do any worst...I hope!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
As a long shot, have you tried using a mouse instead of the touchpad? 🤷‍♂️

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As a long shot, have you tried using a mouse instead of the touchpad? 🤷‍♂️
No, I haven't tried an actual mouse. I can though. I signed onto Cortana and then tried to close it down. Well that didn't work either. When it is running, everything you try to do, Cortana asks if it can help via the pop up. And it keeps asking me to develop my schedule for the upcoming week and when it should notify me about the next update schedule. So when you close it down, it comes back with the old boring pop up to sign up again. I sure wish I knew where it was buried and enough knowledge to remove every little bit of it from my laptop. It turns itself back on somehow even with the startup menu showing disabled and ever other disabling setting. It is embedded somewhere in the software that I don't have the knowledge to find it. Some little bit set somewhere that I don't know where or about.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
An update for those that may be interested. After fighting that "Cortana" crap for too many days and now winning an inch, I decided to reinstall the previous Win 10 version. And that seemed to totally clear up all that pop up Cortana junk for good. It also made my touchpad work correctly again as well, go figure. So that made me smile from ear to ear. BUT, it did mess up my email accounts and YouTube issues. Seems my gmail account got mixed up with my yahoo email account. And that was so screwed up, that I couldn't even log into the gmail account anymore. The account was there, just couldn't get to it. After a long session of changing this and that and logging out accounts and login in with the proper names and passwords, seems I got them work correct as well. And when I finally got the google gmail account squared away, Youtube cleared up as well. So all is good in the laptop world again...until the next update... Happy Happy Joy Joy...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
An update for those that may be interested. After fighting that "Cortana" crap for too many days and now winning an inch, I decided to reinstall the previous Win 10 version. And that seemed to totally clear up all that pop up Cortana junk for good. It also made my touchpad work correctly again as well, go figure. So that made me smile from ear to ear. BUT, it did mess up my email accounts and YouTube issues. Seems my gmail account got mixed up with my yahoo email account. And that was so screwed up, that I couldn't even log into the gmail account anymore. The account was there, just couldn't get to it. After a long session of changing this and that and logging out accounts and login in with the proper names and passwords, seems I got them work correct as well. And when I finally got the google gmail account squared away, Youtube cleared up as well. So all is good in the laptop world again...until the next update... Happy Happy Joy Joy...
Yay! 👍😁

southkogs

Staff member
Hmmm ... I wonder if you wound up with some malware or some goofy extension in your browser that started taking stuff over?

Either way, glad you got it figured out!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm ... I wonder if you wound up with some malware or some goofy extension in your browser that started taking stuff over?

Either way, glad you got it figured out!
Odd you mention that. I honestly thought the exact same thing. I have had updates all along, but this one took well over two hours to install and then the problems started. And it wasn't just one issue, it was so many. It changed my email accounts, Youtube account, touchpad movement and of course the evil Cortana pop up every few seconds. And I can tell you, I educated myself about every way to disable Cortana, from the very insertion of 32 bit words set to disable even at start up, and absolutely nothing fixed the issues. So I decided to reinstall the previous version, and instantly everything was working again after I cleaned up the email accounts and Youtube... It did act like a malware setup... I couldn't even move the curser but a few millimeters and Cortana would pop up and the curser froze in position for a second or two. Talk about frustration, I was way beyond that. I actually told the wifey that we may have to buy new laptops for the both of us... But now all is perfect in the computer world again.