I need a tool, don't know what it's called...

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'm looking for a cylindrical wire go/no-go type feeler gauge. To measure tiny holes. Would normally use drill bits for this type of thing, I need metric, range of about 1-3 mm in 0.1-0.2mm increments. Not sure how to even search for it, but I'm assuming it exists. "pin gauge" is the closest that I've come. A step type gauge won't work for numerous reasons. Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Used to work in an inspection department.----Cabinet full of pin gauges and " go / no go gauges ".----And when a special size was needed i used to hard chrome plate a gauge and they would grind / lap to the size needed.----Same day fix there.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The really small pin gages are often refered to as wire gages. If my memory is anywhere around they ranged from .025 down to .005 in diameter

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Those welding torch cleaners work sort of, they can damage the hole you are checking and cleaning. That's what they are designed for, cleaning torch tips.

I'm looking for a cylindrical wire go/no-go type feeler gauge. To measure tiny holes. Would normally use drill bits for this type of thing, I need metric, range of about 1-3 mm in 0.1-0.2mm increments. Not sure how to even search for it, but I'm assuming it exists. "pin gauge" is the closest that I've come. A step type gauge won't work for numerous reasons. Thanks!

You could still use drills then measure the drill shaft with a metric vernier caliper or micrometer.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Pin gauge looks to be the closest, though I can only find them in a big expensive set (and mostly sae). Drill bits aren't easily available in sub mm sizes I need, same with welding tools. Had already searched for hole gauge/wire gauge. I'm wondering how close I can get using various combos of different gauge stranded/solid wire and calipers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How accurate do you need?

1.0 (0.039”) to 3.0 (0.118”) is a pretty narrow range. Could buy a set of wire drills to cover that range rather cheap

These cover your range for $10

nola mike

Vice Admiral
What are you trying to measure / check with these gauges ?
Watch case tube diameter.
That's what I was thinking. But I think I'm looking at a diameter of 2-2.5mm
How accurate do you need?

1.0 (0.039”) to 3.0 (0.118”) is a pretty narrow range. Could buy a set of wire drills to cover that range rather cheap

These cover your range for $10

Saw some of these sets, they're too small. Looks like I need #47-39.

Good thoughts, I'll keep looking