I need a recipe from a Southerner

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: I need a recipe from a Southerner

Originally posted by ebb:<br /> i don't know the best way to cookem, but i sure like to eat'em. the local gas station keeps 2 crockpots going all day - plain & spicy<br /><br />another good saying <br />"i love GRITS - girls raised in the south" :D <br /><br />do note *if left standing in saltwater too long, they will be inedible* (my wife tried to make some once, when i brought back a bucketful i'd dug up after a visit to my relatives in AL)<br />they tasted like the salt tablets we got in football camp long ago.<br />hey! maybe you could then use them for deerfeed ;)
I will remember that word of wisdom, ebb...AND I doubt anyone loves grits more than I do:) Hot, runny, salted, and buttered up!!!!!

Link

Rear Admiral

McChord AFB Commissary, and she thinks Safeway or The Market Place here in Lakewood. At McChord I remember them being either .99 or 1.99 a pound.<br />I'm pretty sure it was 1.99 a pound. Is that about the right price range?<br /><br />As a matter of fact I just checked spratt and I still have a pound left!<br /><br />But they are old and will be fed to the squirrels.<br />They come in open bins and you just scoop out as many as you want.<br /><br />Mrs.Link has duty out at Ft Lewis this weekend and will check the Commissary there. And I know for a fact we will be going to McChord between Sat - Mon and I'll check there.<br /><br />If thats the right price range.

Link

Rear Admiral

NP will do.. but I'll check them first to make sure they have them. :) <br /><br />signed Bean,O

spratt

Lieutenant

What the ??? are y'all doing up and outta bed??? Link, it ain't TOO bad for you, but Mrs. SW is in Floriduh, and it is at least 4:30AM there:)<br /><br />Thanks guy...we gonna meet up, looks like!! What area of Lakewood are you in?

Stratosfied

Ensign

spratt, since you are in dire need I will (for the first time) share my "World Champion" recipe.<br /><br />this is for 20# at a time. you can put the 'penders' (Lower Alabama for peanuts), in quart freezer bags and freeze to have all year. I usually put up 40-50 bags a year and that seems to hold us ok. Just zap in the microwave till warm.<br />OK here it goes<br />20# Peanuts I cook outside in my turkey fry pot<br />1 1/2 boxes salt<br />1 bottle Zattarans(sp) liquid crab boil<br />1 of the bags of crab boil<br />some sliced jalapineos(sp)<br />4 lemons<br /><br />Fill the pot with about 3" of water and get the fire going. Add 1 box of salt and add the peanuts, fill with water just until all the nuts float off the bottom. When they start to boil a foam will be on the top, scoop this off and adjust the heat to just a medium boil. (you just want to see some boiling over the nuts) Cover the nuts with a lid. Now exactly 1 hour later add the liquid crab boil the whole bottle. Stir and cover. Now 1 hour later add the boil in the bag and cut the lemons in half and squeeze them into the nuts, throw the lemons in as well. Turn the fire off now. Add jalalenos to the nuts however many you like and can stand. Let this sit in the mixture with the fire off for 1 hour. Eat some and if not salty enough add the other 1/2 box. After 1 hour of sitting with no fire or 1 1/2 hours if you added the extra salt, take the peanuts out and put into a ice chest be sure that you don't bust the bag of boil and make sure to remove ALL of the lemon halves.(this is important).<br />Start eating and enjoy. If you have any left put in freezer bags to enjoy later. Hope this helps.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I got a couple different versions.<br /> <br />1 pound raw green peanuts. Boil in salted water for 1 hour. Make sure water is salted to your taste. Add water as needed during boiling. When done peanuts should be soft not mushy.<br /> <br /> <br />If using one pound of dry peanuts (not roasted), boil in salted water for 4 - 8 hours. Add water and salt as needed. When done peanuts should be soft not mushy.<br /> <br /> <br />If boiling peanuts in shell, after 2 - 3 hours of boiling in salted water. Turn off the heat and add a pint of cold water. Stir and let sit for a few minutes so shells will soak up water. Then put back on heat and boil until soft not mushy.<br />Enjoy!

spratt

Lieutenant

You foks are awesome!!!! I have some of the best sounding recipes here for boiled p-nuts I could hope for...a general consensus seems to be the crab boil...so, I am gonna hafta try it soon. Strat, I never thought of using the turkey fryer!!! What an excellent idea!!! Thanks!!<br /><br />When I get some p-nuts and cook 'em up, it seems ol Link may be the only one close enuff to actually give 'em a try!! The rest will just hafta close yer eyes and drool as I describe the taste :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> What the ??? are y'all doing up and outta bed??? Link, it ain't TOO bad for you, but Mrs. SW is in Floriduh, and it is at least 4:30AM there:)<br /><br />Thanks guy...we gonna meet up, looks like!! What area of Lakewood are you in?
Lets see... 1:30 am our time.<br />Normal for me to be up as 10pm to 2am is my personal space time usless I need to get up before 8am. <br /><br />Near the Lakewood Mall or Towne Center as they call it now. When leaving my place I take a right on Bridgeport and go one mile to I5 (exit 125) go accross freeway and into McChord!

oddjob

Commander

Those things are addicting....I best not learn how to make them and stay with pulling over on the roadside and buying a bag of em! .....Then my lips crack and chap.....but its worth it...

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> Those things are addicting....I best not learn how to make them and stay with pulling over on the roadside and buying a bag of em! .....Then my lips crack and chap.....but its worth it...
Yo-spratt, oddjob has got the best answer, No Muss No Fuss, just eating pleasure....and the best part is you will have more time to keep the insanity going here. It is a tough job, and I can't do it alone... <br />
13.gif

spratt

Lieutenant

Yeah, NY...BUT, if I want to make them HOT & SPICY, I can...see, it is all because I want the POWER to do what I want to do with them!!! Yeah!!!~~~POWER<br /><br />
24.gif[\img]

NYMINUTE

Captain

7.gif
<br /><br />Imagine what they can do to your internal Plumbing? You could be incapacitiated for days on the Can!!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Yep, that is why I always eat ice cream last!!! Then on teh can, I can say HURY UP ICE CREAM>>>HURRY UP ICE CREAM!!!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> Yep, that is why I always eat ice cream last!!! Then on teh can, I can say HURY UP ICE CREAM>>>HURRY UP ICE CREAM!!!!!
Imagine me thinking you didn't have a remedy.<br />
25.gif

spratt

Lieutenant

QUOTE]Imagine me thinking you didn't have a remedy.[/QB][/quote]<br /><br /><br />Tsk, tsk, tsk...NY, you're slipping...I am thinking that maybe it is time for you to actually admit it, and go have your local sawbones check you out for partzheimers...the process is not painful, and I can tell you with experience that the diagnosis is pretty common for most males over 6...I know I have it, and though there is no cure, and no treatment accepted by the FDA, there are times when I don't even realize I have it!! I can actually sometimes remember my wife's name, where I live, and how to get to work most every day...many times I even am able to remember what I had for dinner last night!!! Let me know how it goes, ok? I care!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

2.gif
<br /> Wife...Wife Terrific now you remind me, she does all weekend, "this is a nice gift for your wife" Tee hee hee. As Jackie Gleason once said One of these days Alice...........To the moon! But now I will probably be arrested for threatening the environment, and the old attempting bodily harm bit. And you mr spratt are playing with NUTS, at a time like this.... :D :D

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, NY, I am thinking that you could always give the excuse you have partzheimers, like I always do...my son gave ame a wooden carved sign reading: "My wife always says I don't listen to her...at least I think that is what she says"...he he he, she LOVES it, says it couldn't be more true...<br /><br />.......OR......<br /> <br />You could say that someone you knew when you were a kid had a parent that told their child about something that happened to someone who once told them about a supposed abuse that really rocked yer boat and caused you to take it out on yer wife now that yer OLDer and outta control, and now you gotta be innocent!!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> Well, NY, I am thinking that you could always give the excuse you have partzheimers, like I always do...my son gave ame a wooden carved sign reading: "My wife always says I don't listen to her...at least I think that is what she says"...he he he, she LOVES it, says it couldn't be more true...<br /><br />.......OR......<br /> <br />You could say that someone you knew when you were a kid had a parent that told their child about something that happened to someone who once told them about a supposed abuse that really rocked yer boat and caused you to take it out on yer wife now that yer OLDer and outta control, and now you gotta be innocent!!!!
I like to think I can resolve all these issues and tendancies with a little bit of cash from those that let this condition get out of control.