I need a recipe from a Southerner

spratt

Lieutenant
Yep, cause I don't know if any Norhterners know how to do it!!! I am wanting to learn how to make some bodacious delicious BOILED PEANUTS...I used to buy them at the swap meet in North Charleston all the time...am kinda homesick for the taste...anyone out there adept at this?<br /><br /><br />And if any Yanks know how tomake them, I am willin' to AT LEAS read yer recipe:)<br /><br />Thanks...I know I can find them on the Internet if I want to, but when they come from friends, it only makes for a better flavor!!!!!!!

ehenry

Commander
Re: I need a recipe from a Southerner

ya gotta start with green nuts.....boil the snot out of em with plenty of salt then the soak time is real critical. The only way i can tell ya to gauge it is be testing them as the soak. Thats the way i do it.

spratt

Lieutenant

Do ya gotta use a pressure cooker? I know someone who makes them, but he has never volunteered the recipe...

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

You don't need a pressure cooker. Actually I boil them on the stove top. Big pot, water, GREEN peanuts, lots of salt...then let them soak until they are salty enough for your taste.... good eatin'!!

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Oops... I do boil them covered though... forgot that part. Just be careful not to let them boil over on you.

KennyKenCan

Commander

spratt,<br /><br />Strictly a southern thing!<br /><br />Never heard of BOILED PEANUTS!<br /><br />Wonder what they taste like?

ehenry

Commander

KKC, ya need to come on down here and let us put a little meat on yer bones!!!! Some good greens-n-cornbread ! ! !

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah KKC.....come on down for a visit. Them there boiled peanuts are the best!!<br /><br />SW just boils his in a big pot on the stove top also. Lots of salt or whatever....cajun seasonings....boil covered until they taste like you want them to taste..

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

efhenry, I used to live in Madison, Ms on the reservoir. Not too far from you. Graduated from Hinds Jr College outside Jackson. Guess it's a community college now. Waterskiied a lot of miles on the reservoir.

ehenry

Commander

ae708, you and I have sure shared some of the same dirt. You know that they've shut down Main Harbor and The Doc. They're going to tear it all down and build condo's, a boardwalk shopping area. And Lost Rabbit is being developed into a bedroom community. When was the last time you ran the river??

spratt

Lieutenant

Kenny, they resemble a bean when they are boiled...yes, they are soft, not hard like a roasted one...and they are boiled right in the shell, and salted to taste...IMHO, they are indescribably good...they just are not available in Washington, or I haven't found any yet!! Last time I had some was back in February when I made a road trip to Florida and stopped in Alabama and bought a big bag of 'em...mmmmm mmmmm good!!! They were fresh outta the cooker, too!!!!<br /><br />"Big pot, water, GREEN peanuts, lots of salt...then let them soak until they are salty enough for your taste"<br /><br />The guy I know who makes tehm sometime, gets them from soem place out int Port Townsend, WA, about an hour or so away from me...they are in bulk there he says, so I reckon a little road trip is in order. How should I judge the amount of water in compariosn to the amount of nuts? And just regular old Iodized salt?

ehenry

Commander

Throw some crab boil in the water too....that jazzes them up some ! ! I left that little detail out. Its something i do anyway. I use Zatrains liquid concentrate.

spratt

Lieutenant

I know my buddy used some Cajun seasoning, and knowing how much I love hot stuff, letme try it...OMG, guys, I never knew when all them peanuts disappeared...they wuz just all gone suddenly!!!! Crab boil...well, that is interesting!! And, Parrott, I LOVE that saying on yer post!!! If I may use it, will make it my signature...<br />Tobasco, huh?...will take a look...I am looking for some Smoked Tobasco that they have in the cafeteria in our base where I work, and man it is some forever good!!! Haven't found it in the stores I looked at so far...maybe their web site will direct me, so I will go look at it now...

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Parrott_head:<br /> This might help ya just a bit... Maybe add some tobasco to this.... <br /><br />"American by birth,<br />Southern by Grace of God"
OK, Parrott, I checked that site and it does sound good...man there are a LOTof good recipes there!!! Thanks!!<br /><br />Also, true to form, here is a site for Tobasco, and it has info on just that!!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey splatt <br />Since you aint trying to get me killed right now mabe I can be some help to you :D <br />Your just looking for raw peanuts in the shell correct?<br />We found some a few months ago. Mrs.Link will be home in about 45 minutes and I'll ask her where it was that we got them.<br />I'll do it in a seperate post.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Spratt,<br /><br />You are certainly welcomed to the phrase, see it on lots of bumper stickers...often they are holding the bumpers onto the trucks....<br /><br />Here's another one ya might like...<br />"Save your Dixie cups,<br />the South will rise again"<br /><br />But I consider myself an American first and foremost...

ebbtide176

Commander

i don't know the best way to cookem, but i sure like to eat'em. the local gas station keeps 2 crockpots going all day - plain & spicy<br /><br />another good saying <br />"i love GRITS - girls raised in the south" :D <br /><br />do note *if left standing in saltwater too long, they will be inedible* (my wife tried to make some once, when i brought back a bucketful i'd dug up after a visit to my relatives in AL)<br />they tasted like the salt tablets we got in football camp long ago.<br />hey! maybe you could then use them for deerfeed ;)

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Hey splatt <br />Since you aint trying to get me killed right now mabe I can be some help to you :D <br />Your just looking for raw peanuts in the shell correct?<br />We found some a few months ago. Mrs.Link will be home in about 45 minutes and I'll ask her where it was that we got them.<br />I'll do it in a seperate post.
OK, and yes that is what I will need...my buddy was getting them over in Port Townsend, but he told mthat they were expensive and lots of them were nearly rotten most of the time...thanks!!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

OK, Parrott...the signature is now official...thanks!!