I need a depth gauge

Twinz

Cadet
As you can see from my gauge cluster I have no depth gauge or even a place to mount one. I would like to get a square/rectangle display that I can mount under my trim gauge (Between the speedo and tach) or on the starboard side near the throttle like this one:

http://www.iboats.com/Raymarine_ST_...3336594--**********.325811456--view_id.359402

gaugecluster.jpg

What do you recommend? Also what type of transducer is best? Thru the hull or the one that mounts to the lower part of the transom? Which of the two is easiest to install?

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: I need a depth gauge

Transom mount transducer is easiest to install. The Thru Hulls that I have seen require boat modifications. Maybe that is due to what the owner wanted. Dunno... As far as best, probably Thru Hull... but like I said, more difficult to install.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Thru-Hull transducers need to be mounted where there are no air pockets in the hull. With that being said, can you be sure that there are no voids in your hull?
The voids will give you unreliable readings due to the signals going thru the air in the voids.
AVOID using the thru-hull transducers in fiberglass or plastic hulled boats.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I need a depth gauge (definitions)

Re: I need a depth gauge (definitions)

Semantics are confusing: Hope these definitions will help...........

"Transom-mount" transducer mounts on your transom. They are the easiest to install, readily accessible to maintain, to service and to change equipment to the newest and trendiest of electronics. They are most effective if you are interested in gaining the maximum effective sounding it was designed for and they are the most popular. Changing equipment most always necessitates drilling new screw-holes for the new bracket pattern. Concerns with water intrusion and long term effective sealing are not unfounded.

"Shoot-thru-the-hull" (STH) transducer is most often permanently adhered with epoxies to the top side of the bottom layer of glass on the inside of the boat. Most will install in the bilge or sump and maintain a certain level of water to assist the 'tducer's transmission. Most will install this to eliminate having to drill holes in the transom below the waterline where leaks will occur and to avoid damage to the transducer should it strike a log. "Puck-type" transducers are generally what one thinks of as a "shoot-thru-the hull" style. The (STH) method can be daunting to find a decent location on the inside of the hull to affix. Most fiberglass hull layups are full of voids (air pockets and dry glass mat devoid of resin) which disturb the sonar ping and creates "trash" on your monitor. If the t'ducer is equipped with a speed wheel or a thermometer, they are rendered useless. The effectiveness of the (STH) sounding is most always diminished by having to sound through the glass. Regardless of the shortcomings of mounting (STH), many will settle for a compromise with a (STH) installation if a decent signal can be found. Predominantly; however, most understand at least some of the consequences of drilling holes in a boat hull below the waterline.

"Through-hull" transducer is also a permanently installed transducer which is installed in the bilge or keel of a boat hull. These are generally the most expensive to buy, to install and to maintain. The holes are cut for the particular diameter of the transducer barrel and should a replacement or equipment change be required, either an exact match in diameter or a hull repair and re installation will be required.

Captain Chris
SternMate?

Jeep Man

Commander

Faria make a 2" round that will look like your other gauges, but if it's a rectangle shape you want, then check out a Norcross DF1120S. Costs about 100 bucks.