I know it's bad news, but how bad?

ppagss

Recruit
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
4
Re: I know it's bad news, but how bad?

Common problem with the 4.3. Impeller goes out and takes the heads with it. I have worked on quite a few of these. Replace both heads, they are almost certainly warped. You need to make sure that anytime that motor is turning over there is a supply of water going to it. It takes just seconds to shred that impeller and that is the most common cause. Make sure you use a marine gasket kit other than that it is not a bad job, good luck!
 

Payne

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
55
Re: I know it's bad news, but how bad?

And fix yer overheat alarm too!
Now that you mention it, yeah, why didn't the alarm go off? I should have thought of that.

Is there a quick way to check the sensor, like using a multi-tester? (I know, get the shop manual)

I am going to try to find the shop manual tonight on-line, but it seems to be in between '90 and '91. It says '91, but the exhaust manifolds seem to be the big one piece units last used in '90 (If I am looking up the parts correctly).

The engine has a sticker that has the model no. 434APRAWS and the serial no. T01203767

The drive sticker has model 968028 if that helps.
 

Payne

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
55
Re: I know it's bad news, but how bad?

Common problem with the 4.3. Impeller goes out and takes the heads with it. I have worked on quite a few of these. Replace both heads, they are almost certainly warped. You need to make sure that anytime that motor is turning over there is a supply of water going to it. It takes just seconds to shred that impeller and that is the most common cause. Make sure you use a marine gasket kit other than that it is not a bad job, good luck!
If it is only the heads, I am fine with that. I had the impeller replaced last year along with the shift cable at a local OMC shop. But, it seem likely that it failed and caused the problems.

Is it possible I picked up some trash, like a plastic bag, that cut off the flow then drifted away while I had the doghouse open? Oh, well, we'll see this weekend when I open it up.
 

Payne

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
55
Re: I know it's bad news, but how bad?

Oops, it is actually 434APRPWS. So I guess it is a '90.

Nevermind
 
Top