I just bought my first boat! I hope I am not hurting anything.

mattallen

Cadet
Re: I just bought my first boat! I hope I am not hurting anything.

ok I will first get a tach and see what RPM I am running at and then I will replace the impeller, and carbs if they need it.

I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks for all the great info.

mattallen

Cadet

OK,

I installed the Tach. I put the boat in the water this morning and I got 4700 RPM's at WOT. Is that Normal?

Edit: My speed was 25-26 MPH WOT

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a pretty good start. You could probably go up (or down I always forget) a prop pitch to get it around 5000. I'm not sure what the WOT operating range is for your motor but you're close.

mattallen

Cadet

so more than likely I do not need to go through the carbs. I still need to change the impeller.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it starts and idles well and accelerates smoothly up through the throttle range I'd say you're good on the carbs. Definitely replace your impeller.

Nandy

Commander

Mattallen, you did very good. Impeller change is a must in every motor you buy. So little money, reall easy to do and not doing it can ruin a motor in a heartbeat. Unlike what you might have read, you dont change your impeller when it stops pushing water. You change it every 2 to 3 years.

I have a 15 footer trihull with a 50hp mercury and it pushed from 25 to 27 mph depending on the wind. :)

You can eventually wear out a motor if the prop isn't right, but hey, we're talking about a 40 year old motor that cost $133!

What have you been cooking!!!??? If you find a good working 70 hp 1975 johnson/rude for under 200 let me know. Those motors are great and wont die easy.

mattallen

Cadet

here is an update for everyone.

This fall I have replaced my 70 hp Johnson with a 80 hp Mercury.
I have the new floor boards in but it was alot of work.
I still need to get the carpet in but Minnesota weather has made it so I can not do it till spring.
I am about half done with the rewiring on the boat and I still need to get my speakers mounted.
I other thing that needs to be done is that I need to replace the wood for the seats because they are rotting and breaking.

waju

Cadet

My first boat was an 82 17ft Peterborough with an 80 merc. It would max out at 35 mph with 2 adults and a toddler on board. I think the prop pitch was a little too much. My max RPM's were just a bit under minimum specs. Maybe it would have gone faster with a lower pitch. The boat did seem a bit heavy though.