I just bought a 2025 Bayliner VR5 with the 200hp 4.5L Mercruiser, BARELY pulls me up slalom

stakultexsun

Cadet
As the title indicates, just barely broke in (21.9 hours) and it is having trouble getting me out of the water. 3 people on board, 2 x 160lbs, 1 190lbs. That's 510lbs worth of people, probably 200lbs additional gear/skis/cooler, etc.

The boat has a wakeboard tower, rated for 8 people, 1340lbs (+/- a little, might be 1380lbs).

Running a 3 blade 14.5" 19pitch prop. I weigh 230lbs, and am a pretty good skiier. My father is my only known competition, he weighs 160lbs, it is slow to get him up.

So, I plan to upgrade prop, so 3 questions:

1. I'm thinking 4 blade, spitfire 17pitch prop. Thoughts?
It currently maxes out at about 4650rpms around 41mph. It's supposed to go up to 4800rpms. how much max speed should I expect to lose?

2. I'm considering installing a hyrdrofoil. The SE sport 300. Any inputs on those? Is that the best one?

3. Smart tabs? will they help? If so, what brands?

Thanks All

alldodge

Staff member
You need more hole shot and going to a 4 blade 17 is not going to help, mostly the same as current 3 blade 19

Your WOT is fine with current load out

Foil or smart tabs just puts more load on the boat.

I would suggest a 3 blade 17 or 4 blade 15

stakultexsun

Cadet
You need more hole shot and going to a 4 blade 17 is not going to help, mostly the same as current 3 blade 19

Your WOT is fine with current load out

Foil or smart tabs just puts more load on the boat.

I would suggest a 3 blade 17 or 4 blade 15
Thanks for the suggestion. What would be your best guess as max mph if you have one? Currently, 4650ish rpms @ 41mph, or 40mph .

Also, I mentioned the foil and smart tabs due to the fact that his boat loves to aim at the sky. If you got 4 people in the boat, you need all 4 up front to prevent/reduce the angle. Trim all the way down.

Any slight adjustment to the trim (in the upward direction) points the bow at the sky. I've loaded it in the most balanced manner I can, short of hanging weights/cargo over the front of the bow.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the suggestion. What would be your best guess as max mph if you have one? Currently, 4650ish rpms @ 41mph, or 40mph .
Don't know because speed is determined by a lot of things and main one is prop slip. The heavier the load the more slip can happen.

Your boat may do more then 41 if weight is lower and slip is less then with more weight. You can calculate it your self use a prop slip calculator in link below. You need to know the ratio of the drive and prop pitch with accurate speed.

The calculator can answer most any questions, such as what happens to speed if slip is reduced, to determining what the slip is with entering the other block. Just leave the block you want to know empty and fill in others, then select calculate

BBLADES

stakultexsun

Cadet
Don't know because speed is determined by a lot of things and main one is prop slip. The heavier the load the more slip can happen.

Your boat may do more then 41 if weight is lower and slip is less then with more weight. You can calculate it your self use a prop slip calculator in link below. You need to know the ratio of the drive and prop pitch with accurate speed.

The calculator can answer most any questions, such as what happens to speed if slip is reduced, to determining what the slip is with entering the other block. Just leave the block you want to know empty and fill in others, then select calculate

BBLADES
Thanks for that link!!

So I plugged in 19 pitch, 1.62 ration, 4650rpms, 41mph. it says 20.61% slip. Seems high.

I got the numbers for pitch and ratio off the boat, using vessel view for rpms and mph.

Related or unrelated side note, I've got a 3036-6 shift anticipate switch error, it was logged 9/28/24, been to the lake multiple times since then.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It is because it is slipping that much.
Change the slip to 10% and leave speed blank, you will see the speed increase