I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Admiral
Sounds like everything is falling into place!
Indeed.

Although I did have to scooch the jack forward another inch or so this morning. Needed just a bit more knuckle room. :lol:

Had hoped to go fishing today but winds are 15-20 mph. Ah well, maybe in a couple days.

BWR1953

Admiral
I found a place online and ordered a custom 10' x 2" winch strap. The nasty one currently on the trailer measured at fifteen feet eight inches; way too long. Looking forward to getting the replacement on there! :)

dozerII

Admiral
Regarding WD40, the absolute best penetrating oil I have found id home made, get your self a dedicated oil resistant spray bottle put 30%acetone/70%ATF shake well before using its awesome.

BWR1953

Admiral
Regarding WD40, the absolute best penetrating oil I have found id home made, get your self a dedicated oil resistant spray bottle put 30%acetone/70%ATF shake well before using its awesome.
Thanks for that tip!

BWR1953

Admiral
Question - how thick a piece of aluminum sheet can I safely bend 90 degrees? I'll just clamp it in my workmate and bend it over. The piece would be a couple inches wide. I'll rivet it to the gunwale and screw it down to the deck.

I want to attach it to the gunwale and deck so that I can mount the rod holders as shown in the pic below.

2.jpg

Rod holders
berkley_twist_lock_rod_holder_3824_28832431_L.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
2" wide and .080 thickness AL will bend nicely. Also if you have some 2" angle around you can just cut it and rivet it on the ends of the upright piece.

bunnymoney

Seaman
I attached my Berkely Rod Holders directly to the hull. Glued some carpet on to prevent reel rash.

P1030907.JPG P1030908.JPG P1030909.JPG P1030910.JPG

Attachments

• P1030910.JPG
    P1030910.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Admiral
I attached my Berkely Rod Holders directly to the hull. Glued some carpet on to prevent reel rash.
Did you drill holes through the side of the hull? I would prefer not to do that, which is why I was planning on putting in the upright supports.

BWR1953

Admiral
Couldn't go fishing this morning. Too windy.

So I went out to the garage with a fresh can of GoJo type hand cleaner and used it to clean the grime off that old Johnson 8HP motor. Then followed up with Windex. Worked great! :thumb:

And I went to HD and picked up some items to add a drain spigot to my plastic water barrel. Gonna put the Johnson on there and crank it up for a sale video. The last time I did that it was a bear to drain, so adding the faucet attached to a garden hose should fix that right up. Will be working on that when it cools off outside a bit later.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

bunnymoney

Seaman
Did you drill holes through the side of the hull? I would prefer not to do that, which is why I was planning on putting in the upright supports.

LOL, I have sooooooo many extra holes in my hull a few more for the rod holders didn't seem to be a big deal:lol:

Having the rods close to the hull gets them out of the way of moving parts such as coolers, short people, and the like and gives less chance of busting one because it bent too far.

BWR1953

Admiral
LOL, I have sooooooo many extra holes in my hull a few more for the rod holders didn't seem to be a big deal:lol:

Having the rods close to the hull gets them out of the way of moving parts such as coolers, short people, and the like and gives less chance of busting one because it bent too far.
Ahh... gotcha. :)

BWR1953

Admiral
We got the spigot installed in the water barrel, then removed the Johnson from the Kingfisher. Then I put it on the barrel to test. It fired right up on the second pull. Always was a reliable little motor. Fared me well over the last couple years.

Now you know that the boy enjoyed doing his part with the spigot installation! :lol:

12.jpg

14.jpg

No leaks!
13.jpg

Runs good!15.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
The Johnson's off the stern. That transom looks so empty now. :lol:

And I think I counted 37 unnecessary holes in the transom put there by some PO and filled with bathroom caulk or something. :facepalm:

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh boy that transom looks pretty roached out to me, you are going to replace it before putting on that fifty?

BWR1953

Admiral
Yeah, the KF will be getting a new transom for sure.

I'll be glassing the new transom on the KF as a practice effort for when I eventually build a new transom for the Chieftain. That one will have multiple changes so I want to get some skills before working on the big boat.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you going to poly with cloth or epoxy?

Do I spy a pulley from the original cable steering system?

BWR1953

Admiral
Are you going to poly with cloth or epoxy?

Do I spy a pulley from the original cable steering system?
I'll be using epoxy and cloth. Got the cloth awhile ago but haven't purchased the epoxy yet.

Yep, the original steering setup is still in the boat and will be removed as part of the transom replacement tear down. I'll be using the Teleflex type steering system that I took out of the donor boat to replace the old cable setup.