I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys. I'm just glad to be able to do stuff and provide updates. ๐Ÿ˜

We had rain here overnight and most of the day today, heavy at times, so the tarp and bow system got tested. I'm happy to report that it worked well!
1.jpg

@Moserker
Frankly, in the decades that I've owned boats, I've never used a big ol' fuel/water separator, just the inline OEM filter. Never had a problem either. I figure, what the heck, I'll try the bypass and if it doesn't correct the surging, I'll dig deeper to find the trouble.

@renns
Yah, those bow supports are way old school. I used the same system on my Bass Tracker that I bought back in 1985. I guess I really am old. ๐Ÿคช

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, we went fishing yesterday and bypassing the big fuel filter/water separator worked. Engine surging of the 50HP Mercury outboard went away. :cool:
At some point I may remove the filter, but I'm in no rush at the moment.

Here's the link to yesterday's fishing. ๐ŸŽฃ

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, we had the first major issue with the KF on 1 Jun 22; an engine problem with the 50HP Mercury.

We launched and headed to our first fishing hole. Ran along at 5,300RPM as usual, but when we slowed to approach the fishing spot, the motor didn't sound quite right. Even the boy noticed it and said so out loud. It was a burbling, gurgling sound along with the "rind-ding-ding" two-stroke sound. Never heard that before.

After we successfully fished a while, I fired up the engine to move to our next spot and the engine definitely wasn't right. As I increased throttle, it didn't respond as normal and literally wouldn't get up on plane and if I tried to go beyond 3,000RPM, it bogged even more. So I just limped it that way back to the dock. I didn't even think about troubleshooting (like squeezing the primer bulb) but just got back to shore as quickly as I could.

From the troubleshooting that we've done at home since then, it's seeming like a fuel problem. But, there's a compression thing going on too. I don't want to clutter up this thread too much and will likely start a thread over in the Mercury section.

I have to say though, that it was quite a disconcerting event. :(

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Motor troubles on the older boats usually comes down to 2 things, fuel supply or ignition parts breakdown. Sounds like you lost a cylinder either because of fuel leaned out which is worse case scenario or the switch box dropped off a cylinder.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Motor troubles on the older boats usually comes down to 2 things, fuel supply or ignition parts breakdown. Sounds like you lost a cylinder either because of fuel leaned out which is worse case scenario or the switch box dropped off a cylinder.
Yeah, as of this morning it's looking more like a carb rebuild is in order. ๐Ÿ˜

I did start a thread over in the Mercury forum:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I think I've found the problem. Bad fuel. It was 48 days from time of gas purchase until it was used and failed. :cautious:

I have both carbs apart for rebuild and yesterday, with the lower carb, there was water in the float bowl and the fuel smelled like Varsol. ๐Ÿ˜–

We're currently awaiting parts delivery but hope to be able to get the KF back on the water soon. (The overall fix got exacerbated by another issue during the repair process.) :rolleyes:

There was more than this in the bowl when opened.
4.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ethanol fuel drawing in moisture the culprit?
That's what I suspect. I didn't buy the gas at our local Wawa, which does a tremendous amount of business with subsequent constant product refresh. I always get the ethanol free gas there.

But on that purchase, we were 50 miles from home and I bought the gas at the nearest station, which not only looked a little scuzzy, but they didn't have ethanol free there. So I was stuck with the "regular" stuff. Lesson learned. ๐Ÿ˜

I'm still awaiting parts before reassembly.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah I did the same with a freeway side stop n rob omw to Nebraska. Made it to my destination and the fuel pump went out shortly there after. Bad gas does bad things for sure.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
You called it, boss! It was the switchbox. I updated the repair thread.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well guys, this will likely be my final update of the KF project.

There are only two possible upgrades that I can conceive for the little KF and honestly, I doubt that I would go forward with either.
The other [upgrade] would be a micro Power Pole and although easily mounted, I just can't see it happening...

The things people say sometimes.
Final.
Not happening.

Yeahh... :sneaky:

So check out our new-to-us Power Pole Micro Anchor! :LOL:

I got this gently used PPMA for half price. Hey, I just couldn't resist! ๐Ÿ˜

Finished the installation today and calibrated it in the driveway. Don't know when we'll get it on the water, but I'm really excited about having this neat little unit. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Installation was very simple and straightforward. Easy peasy.

All the installation hardware was included because the PO upgraded to a newer version of the unit.
1.jpg

I drilled the four 5/16" mounting holes and dry fit, then used 3M 5200 sealant to fill the holes. Slid the bolts into place and cleaned up the mess from the 5200! :LOL:
4.jpg

5.jpg

The unit mounts to the bracket with a single through-bolt with grooved spacers. Once the main nut is started, it just needs to be tightened down most of the way, then a cam-lock (similar to a drain plug style) is used for final tightening.
6.jpg

My unit came with the original 8 1/2 foot long Power Pole brand spike.
7.jpg

8.jpg

The unit self calibrates in just a few seconds, then is ready for use. :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
And yes, there will be more updates. ๐Ÿค“

Sadly, the 38 y.o. 50HP Merc has a major problem which will require me to pull the powerhead in order to make repairs. Ugh. That'll have to wait until winter. I have a Plan A workaround that I'm going to try soon. Plus a Plan B which I've already confirmed as working, but which is less elegant.

I've also decided to go ahead and move the Garmin from the bow to the helm station. That'll require some rewiring and whatnot when we move the transducer from the trolling motor (already done) to the stern. It turns out that the mounting bracket that came with the Garmin can be mounted either way. Convenient! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

And I bought some stainless Perko spring clamp mounts that will be installed to hold the 8 1/2' long spike (somewhere.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Got the Garmin moved! :cool:

Haven't had a chance to take it on the water yet, but I definitely like having the head unit on the console and the transducer at the stern. Not that it means that I'll have to buy a second unit to mount on the bow later. Or something. ๐Ÿ˜

From 11-4-23
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
2-foot-itis fulfilled! ๐Ÿ˜†

We'll be parting with the Kingfisher sometime soon. I have a few things to touch up on it and will also keep it around until its replacement runs reliably.

The replacement is a 1997 Mirrocraft Dual Impact XL 1845. I call it the MC. It's 18 feet long with an 89" beam. It's actually more of what I wanted back when we bought the KF, but the family was in love with the KF, so it followed us home.

I've been looking for something like the MC for over 2 years. Passed on a few and missed out on a few. I'll be using the MC as a test bed for engine testing the twin 70s that will go on the Chieftain. Once that's done, the 70s will be mounted on the Chief and I can turn more of my attention to the MC.

The KF has served us well and we'll all miss the beautiful little boat once it's gone.

5.jpg

1.jpg

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
The width on the MC is amazing!! I would not mind having a boat that big haha. Too bad you will part with the king fisher, its really well done, but I understand. Congrats on the new boat!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The width on the MC is amazing!! I would not mind having a boat that big haha. Too bad you will part with the king fisher, its really well done, but I understand. Congrats on the new boat!
Thanks! Yeah, the MC is over 2 feet wider and also 2 feet longer than the KF. Quite a difference. The MC is rated for a 150; that's 3x the HP of the KF. The MC seller told me that he had a Mercury XR2 on the boat for awhile but took it off because it was a 25" shaft and not the 20" that the MC needs. Even so, with a 22" prop, 2 big guys and two little guys in the boat, he said it got up to 51MPH on GPS. I'll be sure to use the right size 150 myself. ๐Ÿ˜†

Gonna be fun stuff!

I have to replace the old ignition key switch assembly in the KF. It's old and needs a lot of jiggling to get it to work. And I think that's why the tach stopped working as well. The KF seat hinges also need attention. I was going to repair the loose trailer fender on the starboard side, but I see that it's gone now. Guess I waited too long! ๐Ÿคช

There are a few cosmetic things as well, but they're cheap and easy.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Definitely getting 2-foot-itis seeing that MC! My only complaint with my 160ss is exactly that haha. The width especially.

A 150 on the MC will be a blast. Cant wait to see what you have in store for it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Definitely getting 2-foot-itis seeing that MC! My only complaint with my 160ss is exactly that haha. The width especially.

A 150 on the MC will be a blast. Cant wait to see what you have in store for it.
I dunno man, I don't want to have the Starmada after me if I start an MC thread in the SC forum! :LOL:

Starmada..jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
The new boat looks more big lake/stormy day friendly.
And it's pretty too!

Congrats!