I HATE Thieves!

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
I can't remember if I told you all or not, but on Saturday night, Sept. 22nd I had close to $1500 worth of fishing equipment stolen from my boat in my back yard.

I filed a claim, and the insurance company a.k.a. Progressive Insurance Co. DENIED the claim!

They stated the boat wasn't in a 'proper storage facility' at the time of the theft, and evidently my fenced in back yard doesn't count!

They said it had to be in an enclosed storage facility like a garage for them to cover the claim. Needless to say I am canceling my policy with them as we speak, and going with Kentucky Farm Bureau.

How can they get away with this considering 75% of people who own boats store them outside a 'proper storage facility'?

Below is a list of items that was stolen so you guys can help me keep an eye out on any other boards you may be on or Ebay.

Plano 737 Tackle Box w/ approx. $500 in lures.

Blue/Black Quantum tackle bag with close to 60 bags of various plastics.

One 7' Pro Qualifier Spinning Rod/ reel Combo with the initials 'smw' in red on the foregrip.

One Bionic Blad Spinning Rod with Pro Qualifier Reel.

If you guys see any of this stuff on any other board, or Ebay ... please let me know. Right now there is a $500 reward for my stuff.

suzhol76

Cadet
Re: I HATE Thieves!

I am an insurance agent in the state if Ga. Have you tried to file under your homeowners policy? These items would be covered there if not on your boatowners policy.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I'm checking with my agent for claiming it on my Home owner's policy right now. He should get back to me soon.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your homeowners policy will cover the loss.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear that man. I had some misfortune with thieves not so long ago also. My homeowner's insurance did offer to cover the theft of my outboard and trolling motor, but they also informed me that my rate would increase. Weigh the outcome before you do file a claim.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had $350.00 worth of hand tools walk off last week, been scouring the pawn shops and coming up empty. People are so lame.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all my tools are engraved with my drivers license #. 2 people have gone to jail, as when they try to pawn them the call the police, and delay the thief.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with your states insurance regulating authority. You will be amazed how cooperative insurance companies get when you know where to file a complaint.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That sucks. The Progressive policy clearly states that they will not cover theif unless there are signs of forced entry. Some walking up and stealing something out of your boat isn't covered. They have to physically break in.

I would suggest everyone take the time to read their policy to see exactly what is and what's not covered and under what circumstances.

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for your experience , only someone who was able to be on your property or notice how you stored your boat would have done this .i live in the florida keys this happens all the time with weekenders who think no one notices the theft. i have become the eyes and ears of my neighborhood i suggest you talk to your neighbors and let them know if they don't already of what happened , you would be surporised of the response sometimes it helps...

ntrsandman

Seaman Apprentice

My aluminium fishing boat is behind a locked gate/fence on the side of the house. Fortunately, I am able to remove the motor, seats, batteries, tackle, etc, and store them in a locked garage. Makes it a slight PITA to get it ready to go, but I know the stuff will be there. I even have a lock on the trailer toungue and wheels. I live in a great neighborhood with very little crime. (That I know of).
But, when there is no one home most days, you can't be too careful. I even cable lock our atvs in the garage. Call me paranoid, too cautious, or whatever. If you have ever been robbed you may understand. I work hard for my toys and want them to stay put.

Don't give a thief a chance. Don't let your guard down. Don't ever think it won't happen to you!

Ive had several robberies.The last time they walked out of my garage not 10 feet from my back door (french door) where my sleeping akita didnt even wake up.I now sleep close to the back door instead of the worthless dog and I have a loaded shot gun..........Once they leave with your stuff believe me the cops arent going to find it.:D

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pond Tunes-

Scouring local pawn shops will turn up NOTHING. The worst thing you can do is go barging into a pawn shop all gung ho saying how your stuff got stolen and do you have it? People either "pawn" something which is to give items to the pawn shop for a loan of money at a high intrest rate, or sell stuff outright to the shop. If something is in "pawn", it is in back, not on display, until the pawn is paid off or they don't pay it off, at which point it goes up front on sale as it is the property of the pawn shop at that point.

First off, the thieves will likely steal a bunch of stuff in an area, then drive to another city hours away and either pawn the stuff or "fence" it at a cheap price (but hey, they stole it anyway) to another party who will then pawn it at various places, probably using fake ID.

How do I know all this? Well my welfare recipient ex inlaws used pawn shops as "banks" all the time, and I have a friend who is a sherrif's deputy and detective who deals with petty thieves and such all the time.

UN luckyinkentucky- I am sorry for both your loss and the resultant runaround you are getting from the insurance company. If someone really wants to steal something they will get it, but the more you can slow them down and make things harder for them the more likely they will move on to and easier target.

Motion sensing lights, inexpensive dummy security cameras, and a barking dog will all help to prevent this stuff.