I hate generation X stereos

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I hate generation X stereos

I went through this repeatedly with my truck system. Tiny buttons, complex menu's, Tijuana jukebox display and other 1000 features that I didn't want.... Finally settled on a double din/sized JVC (700). Simple t0 use, decent sized buttons/controls, large, readable display, no gaudy light show. Not perfect but better than most I checked out.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Remember the piano key type presets on car stereos, with these new stereos you need 22yr old eyesight to see the way too many buttons, ......

, just give an old FM with real pushbuttons and balance fader control with a knobs thats all I ask for.....

LOL! Thats exactly what I have in my 1985 Bayliner. The OEM AM/FM Cassette tape player with on/off volume knob with tone, 5 presets, and a tuning knob with balance. My 9 year old didn't even recognize it as a radio!!! My 18 year old just laughed and thought it was an antique.

I know how to operate it with my eyes closed. And know what? No one is going to steal it.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I miss the knobs!

Buttons that only work at certain times to control things make no sense.

Remember when you could turn the volume down before you turned the power on? It was great just spin the knob!

Then again remember the big knob on your home stereo you didn't need presets you just knew how to flip that sucker so it would roll over and land on the next station.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, not gonna lie - this deck in my truck (from "Missil") is a complete gong show. Nothing makes any sense. But it was cheap and has more holes and slots than a....well you get the idea. I wanted to buy the same one for my boat as well, but they ran out (it was an XS Cargo - like a flea market of junk). So there's a "classic" JVC CD player in my boat. Gives me a reason to burn disks again!

"gong show"! someone is dating himself! ( perhaps no one else will :) )

As for the presets, ya, try to control a car radio now in the winter with gloves on!

I heard a good one, your not getting old, your now a classic. And Who came up with the XYZ's for generation names? I see I don't have to keep up with the Jones, as I am one, according to the generation naming convention.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have a pretty large CD collection. Years ago over Christmas vacation I painstakingly ripped all the songs I wanted to MP3. Ever since then discs have barely seen the light of day. I am very careful in backing up my MP3 collection so I seriously considered selling all my CDs. But then I remembered how much fun I had when I was little playing all my mom's 45s on my little Fisher-Price record player. I figured my 22 month old son will someday have fun playing with all my CDs. So I'm keeping them.

I have 3 iPods. 1 stays in my truck connected to an Alpine head unit with an iPod interface, 1 (believe it or not) stays in the shower in a surprisingly awesome Jensen iPod shower radio, and 1 (the newest one) is in the family car connected to the AUX jack of the stereo. I can't imagine it any other way.

*Disclaimer: no I am not so wealthy as to have a $300 iPod just in the shower. The one that is in there technically "died" and was replaced. After the replacement arrived it decided to come back to life. So I dedicated it to the shower radio and I'll be damned if the thing hasn't worked perfectly for like 2 years.

http://www.target.com/Jensen-Shower-Radio-iPod-Dock/dp/B0016BQEC0 This thing is surprisingly awesome. Got it for my first father's day last year. It has pretty good sound and would also be perfect for the boat.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

For retrotech, you might check out something like the Dual XC4100. It has the knobs with on/off click and the slide radio and cassette player, but also has an input jack so you can plug your mp3 player into it. Sound/power is so-so, but you can always run it to a preamp/amp/sound system. You might need one of those adapter plates to fit it into some vehicles.

Also, check out trucks that are made by the same company that makes your car. Many truck radios are made to operate with gloves on, so buttons are big and easy to use. There's a chance that it would fit into your vehicle if it came from a truck by the same automaker. You would just have to find one at your local salvage yard.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

While technically I am a "gen x'r, born in 70)... I have to admit, the new radios with the one giant knob that tilts, twists, turns, and is supposed to control everything is a total PITA!

I do love my iPod though, so I need to have a stereo capable of using an MP3 player...

To be honest, I bought one of these sony's for my truck about 2 years ago, and now have one in every vehicle I own... super easy to use, and yes it has the "row of presets", and best of all they are cheap and reliable, haven't had a problem yet, and for a 79.00 sticker price, who cares if it does wear out in a year!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569323

I know that it isnt technically a "marine" radio, but for the most part they are gonna be up in the dash area anyway, and not subject to that much moisture. The one in my "mudding" truck has gotten wet numerous times, and the window doesnt work on the driver's side, so it gets rained in constantly (in FL), and at over 2 years old is still working fine!

(I should be a spokesman LOL)

Anyway GL with whatever radio you use!