I hate Chiggers!!

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok im done with being outside. I have THE worst outbreak of chiggers i have ever gotten!! I have about 50-75 bites on my thighs and midsection. What would you all recomend on getting rid of them or stopping the pain and iching? Im goin nuts here haha. Thanks

fireman57

Captain
Re: I hate Chiggers!!

You must be really tender. I've never had a chigger bite in my life. I do know some people that are bothered by them and I wouldn't swap them places for anything. Doesn't DEET keep them away?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I fear them.<br /><br />Only time heals the wounds, I'm afraid.<br /><br />Good Luck with them and remember that someday you'll be able to laugh about this.<br /><br />Jinx

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea i think deet does work to some point. Trying not to scratch is the worst. Ah well i just got over another chigger incident about 4 days ago and they were with me for about 2 weeks or so. I think im cursed.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

the prevalent cure around here is clear nail polish. paint a tiny bit over the bite. In the shape you're in, I don't want to tell you the theory behind why it works.<br /><br />But with that many bites, maybe you should just go with the calamine lotion. :) <br /><br />That and a big tall refreshing adult beverage of your choice, or three.<br /><br />some reason they don't go for me, but I have seen what you describe and it is bad.<br /><br />bug spray with deet, spray your shoes & socks & legs & pant legs really good, is the most effective preventative according to the consensus amongst my friends & family.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha yea the nail polish ive done before for maybe a bite or 2, but not this many. Supposed to suffocate(sp) them or something. Ah well.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

When I was a kid we would put about a cup of bleach in our bath water. It did seem to help quite a bit.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When I was in the Army I was stationed with a guy who was a chigger magnet. If he was in a stadium filled with 50,000 people with just one chigger he would get the bite!<br /><br />The bleach works and just like any other bug bite so does a drop of ammonia.<br /><br />Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use DEET to "prevent" them and Bactine anti itch spray on what bites I get from the DEET-proof ones.<br /><br />At this season in this area that's about all one can do.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

A chigger is what yankees call redbugs. :)

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Little bitty critters that you can barely see. The get on you and itch you crazy. I got invested once deer hunting and almost lost my mind before someone told me about the Clorox treatment. I carried a hairbrush around in my back pocket. I'd have to stop work every few minutes and go scratch with the hairbrush. Redbugs/chiggers are miserable little devils.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Had a double post for some reason... deleted it.. sorry y'all.

m1rodrig

Seaman

Mark I had no Idea what they were either so I did a search & this is what I came up with Chigger

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yuch! I have never once heard the term "redbug" before. I have hear of chiggers, but never knew what they were. <br /><br />I like the comment that " Use of Pesticides to control chiggers is not recommended" LOL! If I had chigger problems at my house pesticides would be the first plan of attack. What a bunch of tree huggers!

ehenry

Commander

When I'm going to be out in the woods or places I know there will be ticks and chiggers I'll pick up a pair of flea and tick collars and wear them around my ankles as long as I'm out. <br /><br />Laugh if ya want to, but it works and keeps the tender parts of your anatomy tick and chigger free.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

im tryin not to scratch. As long as i can keep myself busy like fishing all weekend it should be fine. I think i got them from mowing a lawn, the same lawn i got it from 2 weeks ago. Im going to try everything to get rid of them.

Twidget

Commander

That article says around the ankles, that isnt where I usually get them. Its usually where the underwear fits snugly. I hate those things.