I HATE BANKS (part 3)!!!!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: I HATE BANKS (part 3)!!!!

Sears used to manage their own credit accounts. Some time back, Citibank took over those accounts and began to issue MC instead. So really, it's not the same account that you had for 30 years, it's not really a "Sears" account. It's just another MC account, to be treated as any other MC/VISA....over

rottenray6402

Ensign

These are the kind of things that make banks look bad. I work in a small community bank and even though we are better than the big banks we still have our share of this sort of thing. The thing to remember is when you use your debit card as soon as you get the slip out of the register that amount is frozen in your account. It may not bill for several days but the funds are frozen. Good advise about internet banking. You can watch your account 24/7 on most of them and see any problems before they become big problems. Talk to the Mgr of your local bank branch and they should do something on the NSF fees like refund 1/2 of them or something like that. No one likes to pay $30 to $35 for nothing! I doubt if it makes you feel any better but as a bank employee if I get a NSF fee there is no refund... I have to pay it!

KRS

Banned

You overdraw your account and it's the bank's fault?<br /><br />First off, overdraft fees are not 100% profit. A fairly high percentage of the accounts that are paid into the overdraft (negative balance) never receive another deposit, the accountholder simply walks away. The bank is left with a chargeoff. Those fees offset those chargeoffs bankwide, sometimes very near breakeven.<br /><br />I HOPE that my bank will ALWAYS pay my large items first, that way my car payment and house payment get paid, and something small and less significant is rejected.<br /><br />Also, learn to balance your account. Never use the ATM balance for anything, it's worthless. Use a checkbook that you track thoroughly.<br /><br />It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend a greater part of their lives working for their money, and will spend as little time as possible caring for it. The bank is a safeguard, a storage location that provides services, not your personal recordkeeping assistant.<br /><br />As for the credit unions.... I will pull out my soapbox. Credit Unions were granted a charter to do business to provide deposit accounts and loans to groups of disadvantaged people that probably could not receive service otherwise. Today's credit union operation goes well outside of those boundaries and operates illegally. Credit Union are in direct competition with banks for customers, they no longer serve the poor destitute and disadvantaged peoples they once did. Furthermore, let me put into perspective the reason behind my animosity. If you owned your own business (many of you do), and your neighbor across the street did the exact same business you did, competed for the same customers, offered the same products, and his building and facilites were just as nice as yours..... but he didn't have to pay a single cent of income tax because he claimed to be non-profit, therefore he lowers his prices making it difficult for you to stay in business (maybe you would even raise your fees?!), would you be upset? Furthermore, he "retained" earnings (known as profit) of millions to billions each year while you paid a burdensome tax, would that seem fair to you?<br /><br />Credit Unions operate precisely that way, I hope for the day the lawsuits are successful and they either 1) leave or 2) begin paying taxes. We will see.<br /><br />Drowned Rat... if I'm not misunderstood (correct me if I'm wrong) the bank that took the car payment is not the same bank that your checking account is with. So, the fault lies with the lender who took the payment early.... but good luck getting them to reimburse a different bank's fees.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

"Today's credit union operation goes well outside of those boundaries and operates illegally."<br /><br />Illegal? I would seriously doubt that credit unions could slip something illegal by the banks attorneys.<br /><br />Maybe cu's are operating in violation of the original purpose and intent, but they'd be brought to answer if they were operating illegally.<br /><br />Just sour grapes.<br /><br /><br />...over

KRS

Banned

They have been sued, and continue to be sued.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Well the car payment bank credited my account back, and thus my bank took off the overdraft fees.<br /><br />So it all ended up fixed and I am happy again.<br /><br />azfyrftry, I think you need to re-read my post. It wasnt my fault in any way that I overdrew my account.<br /><br />I only ask that the bank charge my account in the order that they charges took place, not in the order biggest to smallest.<br /><br />And the funny thing is, I have never had a bank reject charges, they just charge an overdraft fee. Plus, they cant reject a debit card transaction that had already taken place.<br /><br /><br />Ken

KRS

Banned

Ken, I understood that. Although I agree that it wasn't directly your fault... like others mentioned in this post "I never let anyone auto-debit a payment", I feel that if we give out our account number and allow someone access, even if they misuse that access, such as taking a payment out at the wrong time, the bank sees that as the account holders fault for giving someone access to their account.<br /><br />I should have explained that better, my apologies.<br /><br />I am glad to hear the car payment people credited you back and your bank had enough compassion and understanding to realize that is what caused the error and they stepped-up too.<br /><br />As far as the order of debits, I'm afraid we can't change that :)