I HATE BANKS (part 3)!!!!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
If anyone remembers this will be my third rant on banks.<br /><br />The first idiot bank screws up the car payment date and takes out money 3 day earlier than they said they would.<br /><br />In the mean time I used my debit card like I had the money in the bank. All debit charges are processes the next business day.<br /><br />So on Monday morning, second bank processes the large car payment first and then processes the other small items second.<br /><br />Hehehe, here comes the scam. We'll the large payment (on the wrong date) brings me in the red, and then each little debit purchase is processed after that and you guessed it, each incurrs a OVERDRAFT charge. 33 bucks x 7 times = 231 bucks. Pretty nice haul.<br /><br />Had they processed the small debit charges first, and then the car payment I would have only had one OVERDRAFT charge.<br /><br />Isnt that nice! I called them on their little scam and their reason the process the big payments first is because they think I would like it that way.<br /><br />I call it 100% scam.<br /><br />Now trying to get with first bank to get them to admit their mistake, its like pulling teeth, despite the fact I have the bill stating they changed the date. Excuse: Our computer got confused.<br /><br /><br />AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />I HATE BANKS!!!!!<br /><br />Rant off, thanks for listening.<br /><br />Ken

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: I HATE BANKS (part 3)!!!!

Ken.....be glad I don't know how to get in touch with you over the phone....you would make a perfect candidate for the Birthday Scam on Dean & Rog 93.7 the arrow :D <br /><br />(that's exactly the reason I don't have anything auto drafted and don't own a debit card. they send them to me...I cut them up)<br /><br />I'll use my credit card, but I'll pay my bill online, but not automatically!

oddjob

Commander

Been there several times....the last time, like now I had over draft protection......go figure..

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm the same. Multiple CC's but no debit card. I don't keep records that good. <br /><br />No auto-draft either. I pay everything online though.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Debit cards.. :rolleyes: Does anyone use CA$H anymore?.... :confused:

eeboater

Commander

Back when I was young and dum and thought more checks = more money I overdrafted a LOT. Got into a bad endless loop of overdraft charges eating up my paychecks. I was going crazy.<br /><br />Went into the bank, splained my sitcheashin to em. They fixed the overdraft problem and gave me room to breathe. Haven't been OD since.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yea, I know, but I just cant believe they would have the gall to charge the big payment first and then the little debit charges, when I charged the debit charges before the big one.<br /><br />The just come in on Monday and decide to go with the big ones first, in hopes the little ones will ring up a OD.<br /><br />What a scam.<br /><br />The only reason I do the auto draft is cause I forget all these stupid payments. Dang late fees kick my butt. Pretty funny when the late fee is more than the debt. :mad: <br /><br />Ken

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

They always do it that way Ken. Overdraft money is put into a "beer fund" and once a month they party good. Try not to play it so close. I bet that if you have a good history you can talk them out of a few of the od charges, altho the bank folks do like the minibrewery beers so they gotta charge you something. Chief ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

KIZ,<br /><br />I agree with you. They spin every angle in their favor which I guess is their job, but it sure feels like a scam to me too. What makes me mad is that it gives PW2 more ammo for hating big biz . . . Maybe that is what Ken Lay is doing these days. Yeah, that's it, he finds ways to use funny accounting and different dates to make them money!!! It's making more sense with every word I type! He already knows how to do this!

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ken, You have spoken for me many times with your posts on other topics, but I have to differ with you on this. I will agree about the auto withdrawl thing, but I do use a debit card, and it is the best thing that ever happened to me. <br /><br />I'll bet your bank has a web site, mine does, and I can watch my acct anytime of day and track my debit card uses, forget keeping records, its all on line. I have reduced the number of checks I write to about 5 or 10 a month. The real risk of loss on any checking acct is forged checks anyway, it has happened to me.<br /><br />I pay my bills on line and trigger the debit from my acct myself, nothing automatic. If your paying your mortgage by check, you need to change, you can control the delivery date of $$ to the lender on line, rather than trusting the mail.<br /><br />I am gonna try to be like Kramer (Seinfield) and not use the mail for anything. (remember that episode, pure genius.)<br /><br />AS far as you OD problem, I don't know. But get some overdraft protection. I can go up to $6,000.00 OD, I'll bet if your as conservative with your money as you are on other things, you will qualify to do this. <br /><br />If your bank won't work with you, you need to switch banks.<br /><br />Spud

Drowned Rat

Captain

Ken, if the bank took out the car payment 3 days early, isn't it their mistake? They should eat the overdraft charges, all of them. I hate banks too!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ken....<br /><br />Thank you for posting! I am happy that this is not a Political Post, Disaster Post or an oil post. :D <br /><br />It is refreshing to hear people still have "normal" problems.<br /><br />My best suggestion to you would be to find a small financial institution such as a credit union. A place where people would get to know you. Most of the larger banks have gotten out of control.<br /><br />Credit Union is my primary bank.<br /><br />Bob :cool:

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Banks LOVE overdrafts. What other business can generate a $30 charge for doing a little computer bookkeeping. Practically 100% profit. In this day of increased competition with banks offering more services for free, this is a nice little gouge for them. My bank calculates how much I can overdraw my account based on my past deposit history and posts it online for me. Of course they charge $30 for each such occurence. Why would they do this? They are inviting me, in effect,to overdraw my account. Financial institutions are beginning to look more like loan sharks to me.<br /><br />Dave..

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Agree w/Bob_VT - credit union. Been with the same one since about 1971, and they still use the same name. I don't know of any banks that don't change their name at least bi-annually. CU's are much more tolerant and forgiving than banks. Also their charges for services are lower.

Homerr

Commander

Yep... credit union here. I've had my share of fun with a bank.<br /><br />I will NEVER have any automatic payments. Big trouble if you ask me. And of course... It's never the bank's fault if something goes wrong.<br /><br /><br />H.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did a 1st mortgage with the credit union for ten years. There were no closing costs, no appraisals, no buy downs, no hassels. The one catch was I must keep the loan for 24 months, or pay a $400.00 fee. I plan to keep it for at least 24 months. I'm in the banking business, sort of. I work with banks all day long and have been a cu member for 30 years. I have acutally belonged to 3 cu's at once for various reasons. For the little guy, it is the only way to go. There is a great need for banks and they do a great service for the economy, but check out the credit union, it might be your answer. Mark.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a good one for you. I had a few credit cards that I carried a balance on. I paid them well over the minimum every month, and never late. Last month, when I sold my boat, that I owned outright, I sent a check for payment in full to the credit card companies. One of the companies (Advanta) took my check, took my money (my bank showed that they paid the check) and sat on it for 30 days. My bank paid them, they showed the payment, yet Advanta let it sit in "dispute" for 30 days. They even tried to charge me a late fee.....they said that they could not understand me paying such a large payment, so something must be wrong!! Bottom line...I paid off my balance with them, my bank shows the payment, yet they (advanta) says that it is suspicious, so they did not credit my account for 30 days...yet they had the money!! Kind of funny, they call me every day and ask if I want to charge something....I tell them no, not with their policies.

oddjob

Commander

You need to check your Credit card statements regularly...sometimes they will just ussume you want to be in on one or more of their great offers. I checked the statement of my Sears MC last year and they signed me up with some program that cost 25$ per month. I didnt catch it for 6 months. they were SO sorry....for sure..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

waterone there was a lawsuit on some credit card companies for doing that same exact thing. Not crediting payements until they felt like it.<br /><br />Oddjob, i have had that scam pulled on me too.<br /><br />What a bunch of scamers.<br /><br />I will check out the credit union.<br /><br />Ken

PW2

Commander

Hmmm... What would give anyone the idea I am against big business?<br /><br />Now I do admit to liking to prioritize problems, and a person or an organization that is responsible for virtually bankrupting an entire state, and turning untold thousands of people's life savings into worthless pieces of paper, among other things, is probably a bigger problem than some welfare mom who got an extra can of beans more than she deserved--but hey, that's just me, and I could be wrong.<br /><br />And speaking of Sears MC, I am guilty of not carefully looking at the statement as well. I was carrying a bit of a balance, and I didn't think it was going down as fast as I thought it should--so I carefully checked the statement. Now I have had a Sears card since 1977, and though I went thru a short period 20 years ago where I may have been late paying a few times, the last 20 years have never been late.<br /><br />Anyway, I don't know how or when it happened, but the interest rate they were charging me would make a loan shark at the loading docks blush.<br /><br />I called them and asked to have the rate lowered, and they told me it was non-negotiable--So a supervisor got on the line, and also told me it was non-negotiable. I told them I get an offer every day to change companies to get a zero or close rate--<br /><br />And they told me "Too bad, so sad, but our rate is non-negotiable..<br /><br />So I took advantage of one of the offers, paid off the balance, and cancelled the account I had for almost 30 years. Permanently.<br /><br />I guess they showed me.