I guess it's offical

SoulWinner

Commander
Well folks, I guess it's official so I will tell you all about it. I QUIT DRINKING!!!!!!!<br /><br />Praise Jesus in His infinaite love and mercy that HE, through the prayers of many loving friends and family, has delivered me from years of alcoholism. I have hoped and prayed for victory over this for years, but I never got hold of this thing that was just like a mill stone about my neck. Now I am free. Praise His holy and perfect name!!! Hallelujah, I am free at last!

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: I guess it's offical

Don't know exactly how long. Haven't kept count. But having been drank 12 to 20 beers a day for years, the several weeks I've been sober (6 weeks maybe? no less than 4 weeks anyway) have been interesting. It ain't all roses, but at least now I know that the way I feel and the decisions I make are mine. I also took Paxil for three years (stemming from some family problems) and I am glad I don't take that anymore too. Now I have my mind all to myself!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

No wonder you been kinda crabby. I am currently reading a nuts and bolts book titled "how to quit drinking without AA". Is very good nuts and bolts technical info regarding why alchys crave and such. Very surprising to me how habits and diet play into boozing. Good stuff. I have been looking for such a book for years. The old way to quit through white knuckle method is good for some, but I always wanted the "technical" logic as to why and how alchy is so appealing.<br /><br />Best to You and Congrats SW.<br /><br />Pat

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

good for you SW .. keep a few pounds of M&M's around .. I understand a little chocolate helps cravings and minor withdrawls from the sugar in barley soda...<br /><br />good luck and don't get down on yourself if you happen to crack one .. just be careful.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

actually the sugar thing is real negative according to the book I reference. Sugar is an expansive food, like alchy, and verboten.<br /><br />For example, salt is a compresive food, thus the craving for salty food during or after receint drinking. The premise is that the body tries to ballance what we are putting in it.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

A big congratulations to you Soulwinner. This decision will be one of the most important ones you'll ever make. You said you've already noticed some positives:clear head, your own thoughts, less depression. Those are some big positives. This is definitely something to be proud of.<br /> Not to toot my own horn, but I am sober 8 months this month. No AA. No support. It's so great! My mood swings are not there and I remember so many more things. And the big one is I don't have to be afraid of doing embarrassing things and not remembering them. No more shame.<br /> You will have days, but remember you don't drink and don't keep any alcohol around and you'll get through it.<br /> Be proud of yourself. You've chosen life.<br />Bassy

bubbakat

Captain

Way to go man.<br />I haven't had a drink of that stuff in 15 years and don't miss it at all.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations on making a life-saving decision, SW!<br />Just passed my 10th year of sobriety earlier this year, and I feel great! You're doing yourself a wonderful favor. Best of all, no more blurred vision:
10_7_6.gif
<br />It's not all "Sunshine & lollipops", though. And if you feel you gotta drink, first call on your online friends for support! We'll be there for ya, Bud!<br />Best of luck & good wishes!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Way to go Go Soulwinner..........Its a bumpy road but I know for a fact as long as you stick with it you will look back and relize this one of the best things you have done for yourself and all around you.I have been straight and sober for over 4 yrs now. There are many around here who have gone through this same thing so know that you are not alone and have freinds to vent, complain or just talk to here on Iboats. Feel free to email anytime. Praise God.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Congratulations Soul Winner. I did the AA thing for a couple of years and I needed it. I needed to hear the other peoples stories and be around alcoholics. It is good to have someone else there to talk to who understands the disease and can be with you when you need them. One of the most important things I learned in AA is that drinking is not the problem it is the solution. After I found the problems and were able to fix them I changed my habits and have not had much desire to drink now for 10 years. <br /><br />If you have a desire to drink have a milkshake. Also congratulations to you too Bassy. The hardest part for you is over. That first 8 months is the toughest.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ok pat ... if thats what the books are sayin .... i'll go with it... but I thought a medical journal is where i got it .. huh .. maybee not.. thnx for the correction anyway.<br /><br />anyways ... keep a few pounds of pretzels around then SW ... :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Thank you all for your support. You all, and I mean every one of you here at iBoats, are the greatest folks on planet. Bless you all....

brother chris

Commander

Soulwinner...don't ever take paxil again. <br />That stuff is nasty. <br />I took it for a while, but due to the effects it had on my sex life with my wife...I stopped. It wrecks your desire to have sex...at least it did for me, and a friend of mine who confessed about her sexual unhappiness. I won't go into any details, but that paxil stuff is bad.<br />Glad to hear that you stopped drinking too.<br />Good on ya!!!!!!!!!!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Calling Soulwinner.......<br /><br />This post of yours got me to take a real hard look at the drinking habit. Took into consideration my Brides grumblings too.<br /><br />As of August 31, 2004, have not touched a drop. Liquer or brew. Not missing it yet. That book I mentioned above sure helped along with a conviction not to abuse my bod any more. Nor plan events around availability of the spirits.<br /><br />My families much happier now. Me too.<br /><br />BTW, the 31st was our 8th wedding Anniversary!<br /> :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />Hope you are well SW, and thank you! :)

bubbakat

Captain

Pat take it from an old drinker who has been dry for 15 years. You'll never regret it.

SoulWinner

Commander

Pat, Bless you brother! Bless you a thousand times! I guess I have switched from beer to Ice Cream!! I like a bowl of Cookies and Cream with a few scoops of Beyers Heath in it.

Last edited: