I got one for you Lady Fish...

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
or any other folks that can bake. I am in desperate need of a good apple pie crust recipe. I'm not a good cook, nor can I even follow directions well but I need to learn to make a great apple pie, and I will try hard to follow the rules. Chief ;)

Xcusme

Commander
Re: I got one for you Lady Fish...

Easy Perfect pie crust every time......<br /><br /> Recipe

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm pretty familiar with quiche crusts, those are close to butter pie crust recipes. I'll hold off cuz if you're asking a lady, I'm sure she has a better recipe! Chief, making a good good crust is nothing like baking bread, any idiot (myself included) can do it. :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

X, the standards of this group I will be making this for are tough so no box goods will do. <br />Eric, I'll try that one and see if I can do it. I referred to LF cause I know she can cook and by mentioning her name in the title I knew a few of you would look and answer. Hopefully LF has something good to offer also. Chief ;)

Triton II

Commander

Rats... I thought this thread would be another series of blonde jokes! :)

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure you don't overwork the mixture.It WILL make the crust tough!!!

one more cast

Captain

Bart is correct, if you handle the dough to much the shortening will melt into the flour and your crust won't be flaky. I use 2 butter knives to cut in the shortening until the shortening is about the size of small peas. then I half the dough and chill it in the fridge while cutting up the apples. My mom however, who is 84 years old and bakes between 10-50 pies per month uses her hands and works fast and people at the church bake sales ask for pies made by her. Her secret is to put a little bit of vinegar in the dough.

LadyFish

Admiral

Glad to help Chief. :) <br /><br />The type of apples are really important to make a great pie. You need fairly tart apples like Empire, MacIntosh, Cortland or Granny Smith.<br /><br /><br />Grandma's Deep Dish Apple Pie<br /> <br />3 tablespoons all-purpose flour,plus more for rolling out dough <br /> <br />Double Piecrust (recpie follows)<br /> <br />1 large egg yolk <br /> <br />1 tablespoon heavy cream <br /> <br />3 pounds or 5-6 cups assorted apples (I like to use a mix of Granny Smith and MacIntosh <br /> <br />2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice <br /> <br />1/4 cup granulated sugar,plus more for sprinkling <br /> <br />1 teaspoon ground cinnamon <br /> <br />1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg <br /> <br />1/8 teaspoon salt <br /> <br />1 tablespoon unsalted butter,cut into small pieces <br /><br />Brandy (optional)<br /> <br />Best-quality vanilla ice cream (optional) <br /> <br /> 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of piecrust to a 1/8-inch-thick circle, about 13 inches in diameter. Drape dough over a 9-inch pie pan. Transfer pan to refrigerator, and chill 30 minutes. <br /> <br /> 2. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together the egg yolk and cream; set aside. <br /> <br /> 3. In a large bowl, toss together the apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; place in chilled bottom crust. Dot with butter. This is where I add a splash of brandy about a shot will do.<br /> <br /> 4. Roll out the remaining disk of piecrust as in step one. Brush the rim of the bottom crust with the egg wash. Place second piece of dough on top, and trim so 1 inch overhangs. Tuck the dough under, and crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers. Transfer pie to the refrigerator, and chill until firm, about 15 minutes. <br /> <br /> 5. Remove pie from the refrigerator, brush with the egg wash, and sprinkle generously with sugar. Cut four vents in the top, allowing the steam to escape. <br /> <br /> 6. Bake until crust begins to turn light brown, about 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees, and bake until golden brown and the juices are bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. <br /> <br /> Note: Use any remaining dough trimmings to make a decorative pattern on top of the pie. <br /><br />~~~~~~~~~~<br />The Pie crust - the simpler, the better. The trick for a really flakey pie crust is using ice water and keeping the butter and dough cold.<br /><br />Perfect Pie Crust Everytime<br /> <br />Makes two 8- to 10-inch crusts <br /> <br />1 cup butter (about 2 sticks),plus more for pie plate <br /> <br />2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour,plus more for rolling out dough <br /> <br />1 teaspoon salt <br /> <br />1 teaspoon sugar <br /> <br /> 1. Cut each stick of butter into eight pieces, and refrigerate until needed. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl, and mix to combine. <br /> <br /> 2. Add the chilled butter. Using a pastry blender, incorporate the butter into the flour mixture; the mixture should resemble coarse meal with small pieces of butter, the size of small peas, remaining visible. <br /> <br /> 3. Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water over the flour-butter mixture, and blend. Repeat with an additional 2 tablespoons water. At this point, you may have to add more water: When a handful of dough squeezed together just holds its shape, you’ve added enough; if the dough crumbles, continue incorporating water, 1 tablespoon at a time, checking the consistency after each additional tablespoon. <br /> <br /> 4. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface. Divide into two equal pieces, and place on two separate sheets of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form two disks. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. <br /> <br /> 5. Lightly dust a clean, dry work surface with flour(too much flour here will toughen your crust). Place the chilled dough in the center of the work surface, and dust the dough as well as the rolling pin with flour. Position the rolling pin on the center of the disk, and begin rolling the dough away from you. Give the disk a quarter turn, and roll again. Continue turning and rolling until you have an even 1/8-inch thickness. Turning the dough as you roll will prevent it from sticking to the work surface. A dry pastry brush is handy to remove any excess flour during and after the rolling process. <br /> <br /> 6. Lightly butter the pie plate. To minimize stretching when moving the dough, roll it around the pin, lift up, and unroll over the buttered pie plate. Using your fingers, gently pat the dough into place. Trim any excess dough with a paring knife or kitchen shears, leaving a 1-inch overhang; then fold dough under to reinforce the edge. <br /> <br />NOTE: By all means don't forget a healthy slice of Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese and a scoop of a really good Vanilla Bean Ice Cream on a warm pie. You'll think you died and went to heaven.<br /><br />Like Grandma always said "a pie without cheese, is like a kiss without a squeeze" :) <br /> <br />Good luck Chief. Its not as complicated as it sounds but you can't go wrong with this recipe.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I knew you'd have the answer Connie, I really wanted someone's tried and true method. The reason for this is that one lady of our social group, a true pirate in her own right, passed away not long ago and one of her contributions to our gatherings was, according to everyone there, an awesome apple pie, so, just to keep her memory alive I want to build a pie that's second only to her own. Chief ;)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Triton II:<br /> Rats... I thought this thread would be another series of blonde jokes! :)
You are going to think I'm blonde the first few time I attempt this so laugh away. Chief ;)

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have found the premade pie crusts that are folded up in a red box (cannot remember the name brand for the life of me right now :( ) found in the refridgerated section at the grocery Are excellent. Lay the first one out and precook until slightly brown fill with yer goodies and the other crust if the pie deems it. Un believably good for something 1/2 store-bought.
eek3dance.gif
<br /><br />Good Luck<br />K

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the tip karrick, I may use it for myself but no shortcuts here for obvious reasons. Chief ;)

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's an even better recipe, LadyFish! I'll be quiet and let the real chefs take charge! :D ;)

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Xcusme, if y'all can tear apart an old Merc I'm sure you'd have no problem with this recipe:<br /><br /> http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00119_rec01.asp <br /><br />That's a good recipe, Chief.<br /><br />Edit: I defer to Lady Fish, to whom this post was meant for. :D
Erik, Thanks for the link. I was just being a smarta$$ with the store bought pic. I have used the packaged stuff, since I havn't been able to make a decent crust from scratch. I can make bread dough, no problem, but it's a world of difference in making a flaky pie crust.<br /><br />LF, that's an awesome recipe too!<br /><br />All this makes me want to run out, pick up some makings and get busy! I can smell it baking now!

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Xcusme, I was being a smarta$$ too, hope I didn't come off as a jerk. I'm just a newbie and I'm still trying to get the feel of this place. Please understand that if I ever sound like a royal A-hole, I didn't intend it like that. I'm just being a dumb*ss with a smile on my face! :D ;)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Eric and Xcusme, some folks just can't help sounding like buttheads. Fortunately you two aren't in that category. I have enjoyed your comments, tho LF definately knows her stuff on this subject, I'll bet you that Bassy would also. I'll start tonight making a crust, and I'll let you know how I make out. Chief ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

There are a lot of things I might BS on, cooking isn't one of them, I take it very seriously.<br /><br />This is a tried and true recipe the way my Grandmom used to make it, the best in the world <br />IMHO. ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

Well Ive tried many recipes from people here on iboats over the last couple years and Chief your in good hands!<br />But you already knew that! ;)

iboater

Seaman Apprentice

When your done here Chief you will have to take the i out of your name...Good Luck<br /> :) :) :D :D :) :)