I got him....

Homerr

Commander
I nabbed this thief last night....<br />He's been a regular visitor to my bucket of cat food. I knew I had a skunk around, but not a coon.<br /><br />
coon.jpg
<br /><br />He's a bit upset right now... :) <br /><br />I plan to set him loose up in the woods later tonight.<br /><br /><br />H.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: I got him....

Just look at that face, he ain't no thief, the poor fella was visiting and wanting to socialize a lil bit, he don't really understand why you won't get Jiggy with it :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, they have a way of looking so innocent. I chased one across my roof, he jumped into a nearby tree. I kept a powerfull light on him and he kept moving further up the tree.<br /><br />He just looked so cute and innocent. For the life of me I can't understand how they can stare right at a zillion candlepower light. He must not have liked it tho 'cause we haven't heard him running across the roof lately.

Homerr

Commander

Yep...all cute an innocent until they dump your garbage cans over, eat all your pet food, and bring rabies!<br /><br />They are a neat creature... to look at in the woods...not in my garage!<br /><br /><br />H.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Roasted Raccoon and Yams <br /><br /> <br /><br />~ 1 raccoon, dressed<br />~ 2 red pepper pods<br />~ 1 tsp salt<br />~ 1/4 tsp pepper<br />~ 1/8 tsp sage<br />~ 2 tbsp lemon juice<br />~ 4 large yams, peeled and quartered<br />~ 1/4 cup brown sugar<br />~ 1/2 cinnamon<br />~ 1/8 tsp ginger <br /> <br /><br />Place the raccoon in a large pot with the peppers. Cover with water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.<br /><br />Remove raccoon from the pot and place on a rack in a roasting pan.<br /><br />Pour the lemon juice on the raccoon. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and sage.<br /><br />Place the yams in the pan around the raccoon. Add 1 cup of water.<br /><br />Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger.<br />Sprinkle on the yams.<br /><br />Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until the meat is crisp and brown.<br /><br />Transfer to a serving platter.<br /><br />Serve and Enjoy!

SoulWinner

Commander

I have know people hat had them as pets (illegally). They are really cute and very intelligent. If you get them as babies they are very trainable, and kind of like a cross between a cat and dog.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> ....and kind of like a cross between a cat and dog.
Shouldn't you have included a pit bull, Soulwinner? I understand they can be unpredictable as well as quite vicious.<br /><br />..and JS, are you sure that your not from W. Virginny? or was that the Phillipines. :p

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Come on, Boom! It was a joke!!<br /><br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br /> Everyone knows that recipe is better with possum! :)

Homerr

Commander

I agree Bomyall... A pitbull fits the bill a little better!<br /><br />This coon was MEAN !<br /><br />And teeth? Holy cow!<br /><br />H.

LadyFish

Admiral

Get a cat. :) <br /><br />One morning Mr. LF went out to get the newspaper and he noticed the kitty, only 6 months old at the time ,was in his attack position outside the garage door looking in.<br /><br />He opened the door and a racoon came screaming out of the garage. My little kitty jumped on its back and rode him down the driveway. Funniest sight he had ever seen.<br /><br />You gotta love a cat with spunk.

Ralph 123

Captain

Of coarse he's a thief Vlad - look, he's even wearing a mask! :D <br /><br />That's one spunky cat you got their LF! Better make sure he/she always gets his shots on time. He's gonna need them ;) I speak from experience. I had to quarantine my big 'ol Tom cat several times after tussles with the local wildlife. :D

Homerr

Commander

I do have cats... 2 young toms.<br /><br />My big tom disappeared a while ago. He came in beaten up pretty good one night, and then he was gone. I'm betting the coon had something to do with it.<br /><br />H.

Ralph 123

Captain

Funny Homerr, my tom loves going after coons but leaves possums alone. Same thing with my mother's brood. Her cat's even let the possum eat from their outside dishes. I don't get it...

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I need to borrow your trap Homerr.We have one thats been visiting our trash cans.The little $h.. always seems to come on trash day and scatter it all over the yard.Nothing more fun than picking up trash at 5 AM on a Monday morning.

Homerr

Commander

LOL..!<br /><br />Go to your local feed/hardware store. That's where I got mine anyway. It was around $40-$50 is memory serves.<br /><br />If you don't want to buy one, you might contact the local fish and game department. I'm sure they will loan you one.<br /><br />As for bait, I used a can of tuna and a little cat food. They can't resist tuna!<br /><br />You may spend some time catching the local cats, but you'll eventually get the bandit.<br /><br />I also warn you... you may catch a skunk too if you have them :eek: <br />Do what I did... place the trap way up high on something. Coons can climb, but skunks can't.<br />Put enough bait to produce a nice stinch... and he'll come back.<br /><br />My coon was climbing up a cabinet about the size of a refrigerator. Only way I knew that was because he was knocking down the container of cat food and dragging it around my garage. I seen his fur stuck on some of the cabinet and a wooden support beam. I knew then it was a coon.<br /><br />I placed the trap on top of the cabinet, and it took about 2 days. He got quite the belly full a few nights prior, so I figured it would take a day or two.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br /><br />H.

ehenry

Commander

I've got problems with the Maksed Marauders myself. They are helping themselves to my corn patch. I've set a couple live traps out to see if i can catch them. BUT ! If the Marauders and I come eye to eye...I'm going to feed him a bullet!

NYMINUTE

Captain

I have called PETA, they will be decorating your place with UNFAIR signs tonight. Leave them a saucer of milk.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I get the trap next. picked up some trash this morning. They have figured out how to open one of my trash cans and they have just chewed holes in the tops of the other ones. Aren't they just so CUTE!!! #@%!^%$&^%^$#

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

On a Scout trip last year the racoons actually tore open cans of Mountain Dew. Couldn't believe it. They left the Pepsi and RootBeer cans alone. I guess they just wanted to be more alert for the rest of their foraging.