I got a free 14 ft sailboat where do i start

Murray92589

Cadet
I just picked this boat up yesterday, i need to get the trailer in shape before i can bring it home, but once i get it here what do i need to do to get it painted and looking decent I've never worked with fiberglass before so start from step 1

i understand i need to sand it down check for cracks then use some kind of sealant or coating before painting?

100_0114.jpg

100_0115.jpg

100_0104.jpg

100_0112.jpg

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: I got a free 14 ft sailboat where do i start

Hello, and Welcome Aboard.
The first thing you want to do after you have your treasure on a roadworthy trailer is stop at a carwash and clean it up. Better the mess is there than in your yard. Vacuum and pressure wash it. After the debris is removed you will be better able to judge integrity.
As for painting, I'd be tempted to to compound the hull first, unless you just can't stand the color.
Also, I can't tell from your pictures, look on the transom for a plug which would allow you to drain any water between the inner and outer hulls.

Congratulations and Good Luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Please resize your pics in photobucket to 640x480. This can be done with a single click and you won't have to update anything here. Thanks and good luck with your project.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree- A good cleaning and pressure washing is step #1- You'll be amazed how much better it looks after that!

I don't know if that is a solid fiberglass hull or if it's cored- But it looks like water was standing in it, and you are going to want to make sure that everything is good and solid, with no rot. It doesn't look like you have great access to the area between the hull and deck, but where you CAN get in there, check things out.

The odds are the decks have some kind of core material- Balsa or ply- Check that, too, as well as the transom.

Other than that, it looks like a largely cosmetic job- And rigging, of course. Do you know what make and model it is? That is helpful to come up with rigging diagrams. Otherwise, you'll have to make some guesses...

-Andrew

Murray92589

Cadet

it definitely had water standing in it, this was sitting behind a friends house for a couple years, and he finally said i could have it, at one point there were tadpoles in it. i do not believe it has any water between floor and hull, i loaded it into the back of a pick up and would have noticed the weight shifting if water was in there.
Happier wet how would i compound the hull is there a thread about this, i am completely new to boat repair.

I have no idea what make or model this is it has a jib and main sail but there are no name brands on the boat anywhere i have seen.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

After you clean it up, check it bow to stern for cracks, etc. Then get some rubbing compound and follow the directions on the can...an orbital buffer helps save your shoulders.