I don't care what they say, but ebay...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...is great. I don't know what we did without it. Just to name a couple, out of many experiences.<br /><br />I was just able to obtain two somewhat obscure replacement OMC parts (from my motor theft), from two different vendors for less than 10% of what they would cost new and about 20% of what I had been quoted for used parts from a service dealer.<br /><br />I also just listed an item for $1600.00 (to raise funds for a new motor) that I bought new in 1981 but hardly used. It cost me $30.00 to list and another $30.00 once I get the first bid. The item is not shipable so it needs to be purchased by someone local.<br /><br />To date, I have no bids (5 days to go) BUT there are ***46*** watchers (not looky loos but people who have put the item on their watch list) and I've had two emails asking if they could see it. Now you know with 46 watchers there is most likely going to be a least a small flurry of bidders at the end. With ebay you can give much better descriptions and pictorials than you can anywhere else. <br /><br />Had I put this item in the local classified I doubt it would have drawn much attention even at a lower price. I know I'm counting my eggs before they hatch but at least ebay is providing some action that I would not get/see anywhere else.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: I don't care what they say, but ebay...

Yep Boom, ebay is really great! I remember back in the mid '90s it was even better. Back then it was really like a yard sale with bargains that just aren't there anymore.

LubeDude

Admiral

Happy to hear your getting some of your parts together. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am glad you have good luck with e-bay. I get rather jaded as I get 4 or 5 e-bay motors in the shop each month that are junk. also get 10-15 a month from the trading post that are junk. I dont see the ones that actually run well and are not dumped on an unsuspecting slob. of course all I see is the dead and dying ones so it tends to slant my view.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Yep Boom, ebay is really great! I remember back in the mid '90s it was even better. Back then it was really like a yard sale with bargains that just aren't there anymore.
I agree...there aren't that many good deals on ebay anymore, but it's a great place to get things you could never find anywhere else. I kinda like that prices are up though, since I sell alot of crap there. :D Ebay has put several grand in my pocket from just random things I find...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> I am glad you have good luck with e-bay. I get rather jaded as I get 4 or 5 e-bay motors in the shop each month that are junk. also get 10-15 a month from the trading post that are junk. I dont see the ones that actually run well and are not dumped on an unsuspecting slob. of course all I see is the dead and dying ones so it tends to slant my view.
One does need to use common sense rodbolt. There are somethings I wouldn't touch on Ebay, but there are many more that would be hard to find or much more expensive if you found them on someones shelf. I have also watch many things repeatedly go for more than they are worth but one cuts themselves short by not, at least, looking on ebay when they need something.<br /><br />The more prices rise, ZmOz, the more neat and obscure stuff come out of the woodwork. I think there are still plenty of good deals, but you do need to be selective and know what your dealing with. If you had, say, an old but good timing cover laying around, chances are with out ebay, you'd just trash it. With ebay you might pick up a few bucks that you wouldn't get otherwise.

ZmOz

Captain

One thing I often do is search only buy it now auctions, with lowest price items listed first. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find someone who doesn't know what they're selling is worth. About 6 months ago I bought 3 6.5hp B&S electric start engines worth about $300 each for $140 on a buy it now. :D

LubeDude

Admiral

I agree, being selective is where its at and being patient also. I bid on a lot of stuff just for fun, I win about 10% of those. Some times knowone else wants it. Why did I want it?????? :eek: <br /><br />Clean it up, give it a bit of a polish and put it back on Ebay. Sometimes its just haveing the backbone to ask a high price, I would never for instance put a SS Prop on there for anything less than a $150.00 starting price, I have never failed to sell one either but I buy them all the time for around $75.00 shipped. :D <br /><br />Over 300 Transactions now and 100% feedback.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wish they would sell oil on there. :D :D :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Be nice if the PO and UPS would lighten up a bit. Shipping stuff (and buying) is expensive, and getting worse..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Oh yeah...ya all might want to check out local ads free at XXXXXXXX . Robby<br /><br />I have just realized I pulled a boo-boo with posting the links, which have been removed from my post. I'm in a couple yahoo groups, which such links are okay, and forget sometimes where I be at! Don't want a trip to the "Woodshed" with JB!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I wish they would sell oil on there. :D :D :D
Speaking of that, Amsoil has a very strict policy about selling there products if you are a dealer. I about got kicked out because I put an oil filter I had bought a few years befor I became a dealer again on there. I mean they picked up on it in a hurry. People that sell product on there have a relative or friend do it or they are signed up under another name. Thats the only way they can get away with it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Carefull Robby, I found out the hard way that we are not suppose to link other web sites on here.<br /><br />Bad Boy, Bad Boy, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when JB comes for you. :p :p :p

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />
Speaking of that, Amsoil has a very strict policy about selling there products if you are a dealer. I about got kicked out because I put an oil filter I had bought a few years befor I became a dealer again on there. I mean they picked up on it in a hurry. People that sell product on there have a relative or friend do it or they are signed up under another name. Thats the only way they can get away with it.
A while ago I sold 4 quarts of amsoil and said in the auction the winner has the choice of 10w30 or 20w50 since I had 4 of each to sell. I got a nasty email from Amsoil about it, threatening to end the auction, etc. :rolleyes: Since I'm not a dealer they got an equally nasty reply and then I listed a few more auctions for 4 quarts of amsoil, with the winner getting a choice of ANY amsoil product...just to **** them off. ;) I ended those auctions early though...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I have had things that I have tried to give away with no luck. Then put a price tag on it and then they get sold quick. Just doesn't figure sometimes.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I have to say that I've never even registered on e-bay :eek: <br /><br />I've wanted to .. more than a few times actually but, I've always talked myself out of it due to not being able to see things for myself first hand.<br /><br />One auction recently was a fully loaded 2003(?) Ranger 621VS 30th Aniversary Edition w/250 V-MAX that was never used and off a dealer showroom floor in Texas someplace.. $40K boat that was @ $26K at the time... I couldn't bear to watch while on the sidelines and never registered to join in the fun.. :( <br /><br />I wonder If I'll get over this 'fear of heights' sooner or later..? :rolleyes:

KaGee

Admiral

Yep... your new hot-rod gonna burn lotsa that stuff.... gott luv the smell of two-stroke early in the morning!<br /> :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> I have to say that I've never even registered on e-bay :eek: <br /><br />I've wanted to .. more than a few times actually but, I've always talked myself out of it due to not being able to see things for myself first hand.<br /><br />One auction recently was a fully loaded 2003(?) Ranger 621VS 30th Aniversary Edition w/250 V-MAX that was never used and off a dealer showroom floor in Texas someplace.. $40K boat that was @ $26K at the time... I couldn't bear to watch while on the sidelines and never registered to join in the fun.. :( <br /><br />I wonder If I'll get over this 'fear of heights' sooner or later..? :rolleyes:
Aw come on barlow, just close your eyes tight and jump. It won't hurt, really. I've only been 'misled' once. I bought an external floppy drive that it turns out was some special purpose drive that was never intented to be used as indicated. I had waited so long to even try it out that I never tried to contact the seller. Out 25 bucks, but that was almost my fault.<br /><br />This morning I'm going to auto-snipe an item for the first time. I won't be home for the close so I thought I'd give it a try.<br /><br />Ooh! 4 days seven hours to go on my 'big' auction and 53 watchers now! I can just about hear my new boat motor starting to purrr! :D

KaGee

Admiral

Good Luck Boom.... You deserve it.