I am so dang proud of W

oddjob

Commander
Re: I am so dang proud of W

am to proud of the way he answered every question with that snorty nausally stupid smirk laugh ,in a fine presidental way..<br />
Better that we smirk laugh, than to laugh out loud at any kerry(WAR HERO/murderer)supporter.Ha,Ha.....Ha! :) <br /><br />so much for the tone.. :D

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A little off topic, but has there ever been a President that did not receive his parties nomination after their first term? Just curious.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

For those who knew who they were going to vote for going in, there was nothing to change their minds.<br /><br />The "undeceided" voter who by definition has to be uninformed, probably walked away from this thinking Kerry won. Bush needs to do a better job of delivery and style. Dude you are the prez, be generous when asked what you like about your competitor, (I like Mr. Kerry ketsup very much and use it on my french fries) its ok to complement your advisary, makes you look more benevolent.<br /><br />Kerry on substance still doesn't know what his message is. He was all over the board and contradicted himself at least 3 times. But was excellent in his presentation of mush and had the little things down cold, (nice touch taking notes, sends the message you are engaged), better on the handshake, delivery/volume/tenor was consistant from question to question, cutaway shots of Bush made him look like Gore. Kerry looked interested and thoughtful when GW spoke. Kerry is a strong debator.<br /><br />I will always take a plan over winging it, and substance over style, but alot of americans are so shallow as to not know the difference.<br /><br />As for the VP debates which are usually where the real mudd get thrown, I expect Edwards to be a typical democrat, if it actually gets to substance Cheney will beat him like a rented mule.

Ralph 123

Captain

A little off topic, but has there ever been a President that did not receive his parties nomination after their first term? Just curious.
LBJ comes close. He served out JFKs term and then one of his own and then backed out of his second term when it became clear he had a good chance of losing his party's nomination.<br /><br />That's the closest I can think of...

oddjob

Commander

I didnt watch it..interesting on everyones take.....I just ran into some out of the closet kerry fan friends of mine at work and they were on cloud 9. Funny how none of them have ever shown much interest in politics until now..

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> I will answer that question, and I want to answser that question, but before I do, I want to talk about how you did everything wrong, and I want to bribe other nations with cash and sign their treaties that put all the burden on the US, and I have a post in the fishing forum, and answered one in the Force forum, and Butros Butros Galli said in 1973 that he loved his momma.<br /><br />What was the question?
:D :D :D <br />too much...can't breathe...must stop laughing...<br /><br />hey, crabby, good catch on W's fidicious use of the word "fidiciously."<br /><br />
Originally posted by pointer94:<br /> ...The "undeceided" voter who by definition has to be uninformed, probably walked away from this thinking Kerry won...
As one of the uninformed undecideds (not being sarcastic, just uninformed by choice; didn't want to subject my psyche to the hazards of political campaigns too early in the process), I must say I don't think Kerry won. Sure, he had his moments, and sure, W might have stumbled over a word or two, but as challenger I think Kerry has a bigger hurdle to clear and he didn't, IMO.

SCO

Lieutenant

TV pundits rate the debate as if it were the Miss America Contest. We needed the swimsuit competition. If keeping a dignified appearance when confronted with a record of forming politically based positions on the issues is the standard by which we judge this debate, then Kerry's the clear winner. He's a good con man. How the style aspect can carry any weight whatsoever is beyond me in this race. We'll see in November if the framers were correct to give us the responsibility to elect our Presidents.

Ralph 123

Captain

Lehrer Stacks Deck Against Bush<br /><br />Presidential debate moderator Jim Lehrer showed once again Thursday night why top aides to President Clinton used to call him "our moderator" when presidential debate time rolled around in 1996.<br /><br />The questions, which Lehrer announced at the outset had been authored exclusively by him, were supposed to help the American people determine which candidate would be a better steward of U.S. national security in a post-9/11 world. <br /><br />But there were no queries to Sen. Kerry about his long Senate record of voting against defense appropriations, or his sponsorship of a bill to cut CIA funding by $6 billion a year after terrorists struck the World Trade Center in 1993, or Kerry's support of the nuclear freeze movement during the height of the Cold War.<br />Kerry wasn't asked why he teamed up with Jane Fonda to protest the Vietnam War while his band of brothers were still on the battlefield, or why he met with enemy leaders in Paris, or why he accused fellow soldiers of being "monsters" and "war criminals."<br /><br />Most Americans would consider the answers to those questions extremely relevant to the selection of any U.S. commander in chief during a time of war.<br /><br />But not Jim Lehrer. Instead, he focused on Iraq with question after question that suggested Bush had blown it.<br /><br />Here's a sampling:<br /><br />"You said there was a miscalculation in Iraq," Lehrer asked the president. "What was it and how did it happen?"<br /><br />"What colossal misjudgments, in your opinion," Lehrer asked Kerry, "has President Bush made in these areas [Iraq]?"<br /><br />To Bush: "Mr. President, has Iraq been worth the cost in American lives -10,052 - I mean 1,052 up to today?"<br /><br />To Kerry: "You've repeatedly accused President Bush of lying to the American people on Iraq. Give us some examples of the president being untruthful on Iraq."<br /><br />Despite his focus on Iraq, however, Lehrer never asked why Kerry voted to authorize the war, then turned around and voted against the legislation to fund it. Or why he voted against authorization for the first Gulf War, even though President Bush's father had amassed just the kind of coalition Kerry says the U.S. needs now.<br /><br />Likewise, the PBS host declined to ask Kerry about comments in recent days from French and German officials who announced they have no intention of sending troops to Iraq, even if Kerry is elected.<br /><br />That's quite a stunning development, given that Kerry's Iraq policy rests almost solely on the promise that he'll persuade Old Europe to pitch in and take some of the load off U.S. forces.<br /><br />But not stunning enough, apparently, to interest Mr. Lehrer. <br /><br /> http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/30/223850.shtml

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get the impression from Kerry that he wants everything he does to go through the UN first. I'm not sure he can even make a decision on his own. <br /><br />As far as North Korea, What the h*ll does he need bilateral talks for. I have to agree with Bush... Kerry would make a huge mistake by doing this.<br /><br />IMO, Bush clearly won this, and he did show a lot of respect for Kerry. I don't know why cause Kerry blasted Bush every chance he got. <br /><br />Done Ranting...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

As one of the uninformed undecideds (not being sarcastic, just uninformed by choice; didn't want to subject my psyche to the hazards of political campaigns too early in the process),
____________________________________________<br />jtexas,<br /><br />Sorry, didn't mean to insult you, just assumed anyone who frequented this site had already picked a position. ME BAD

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bush took the high road. It's a harder road, but he was the only one there with the character to take it.<br /><br />Lehrer was decidedly biased, showing once again how far the media elites lean to the left. Given that it was a debate on current foreign relations topics, I can see why he didn't go into Vietnam, but questions about Kerry's voting record and his lack of attendance to his current job in that area would have been fair questions and should have been asked.<br /><br />It wasn't a clear win for either one. <br /><br />I think the most interesting debate will be the town meeting style debate, I look forward to seeing how both will do when the questions could be on any topic.

NOSLEEP

Commander

This is what I heard.<br /><br />Kerry: Vote for me if your gullible.<br /><br />Bush: Stay the course, Win the war.<br /><br />I wonder how the debate would be scored if it<br />had of been held in the dark.<br />Character is what you are in the dark.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br />...didn't mean to insult you ...ME BAD [/QB]
No no, I don't take "uninformed" as an insult, and it's not far-fetched to assume that undecided means uninformed, although there undoubtedly are a few Americans who, while informed up to their eyeballs, can't make up their minds: paper or plastic? bunk or roller? Mary Ann or Ginger? :) <br /><br />BTW while it's hard to dispute Lehrer's apparent liberal bias, some of those questions that Ralph quoted were actually follow-ups, challenging Kerry to support assertions he made earlier in the debate; for instance, the "collossal misjudgement" and "lying to the American people on Iraq" questions. <br /><br />In fact he did Bush a favor by requiring Kerry to explain himself, giving W an opportunity to rebut those assertions. Also, giving the President the opportunity to explain what he meant by "miscalculation in Iraq" didn't hurt him at all. Those are some of the more admirable Bush moments, for me at least.<br /><br />Despite his having not held Kerry's feet to the fire, I still think Jim Lehrer is the right man for the job - surely you wouldn't turn it over to CBS!! (And I mean that in the most fidicious way) :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

surely you wouldn't turn it over to CBS!! (And I mean that in the most fidicious way) :)
Jim Lehrer, "Then, on October 13th, from Arizona State University in Tempe, Bob Schieffer of CBS News will moderate an exchange on domestic policy that will be similar in format to tonight‘s."<br /><br />'nuff said.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br />[QB] I wanted to clear-up OB's confusion...<br /><br />Kerry favored more diplomatic attempts before invading Iraq (which would've failed as they always did), and a more mulitlateral force to oust Saddam (which might have happened with more time). But now that we're there, he wants the job finished and a free Iraq. It's not like you can turn the clock back and start all over. He'll have to deal with the hand he's been dealt and he wants US to succeed.<br /><br />The only one that seems confused is Kerry and his groupies.We already have multilateral support in Iraq.More would have been welcomed,but I guess the current administration wasn't willing to buy them off.Who do you suppose Kerry could have got to assist further? Saudi Arabia maybe? How many more diplomatic attempts was he hoping to employ?I watched the entire three ring circus of the pre war UN meetings and what I saw was the uttterly exposed disdain by the majority of the attending countries against the US.Mostly unfounded irrational rhetoric.

SCO

Lieutenant

To borrow 12'rs word, KEWL avatar MrScott.<br /><br />Is UBL even alive?? there have been no videos of him to my understanding since tora bora. The new face of alqeda is worredabout being swallowed up one country at a time thanks to W. http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041001/D85EL89O0.html <br />Who cares about any potentially biased fact checkers compilation at this point. I am getting very jaded about any pundit commentary or unbiased reporting and fact checking . It makes me angry to hear/ see Peter Jennings, George, Lehrer because I am darn tired of them trying to influence our political process. Actually, I like George allright. Maybe I am way off, but I think he has integrity and keeps his personal biases in check. This one has to be decided by each individual voters gut measure of the candidates.