I am so close??

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright guys, 1990 140 VRO was running for about 10 mins with the muffs. Backed into the lake and it died once I got water around it. THen I can't get it started again. Still can't any suggestions. Very frustrated. It sounded like the idle was low not sure. Also when I have my fuel hose on and connected it doesn't seem to be as close to starting as with it dissconected??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: I am so close??

You had it running out of the water and then backed it in the lake? Or did you back it in the lake and then start it?<br /><br />If it was running out of the water as you backed into the lake, most likely the pump is fried. maybe some other stuff too. <br /><br />However if it runs OK out of the lake and on the muffs, the idle may just be too low. Loopers will idle pretty high with no backpressure.<br /><br />Are the carbs clean? Has it been sitting a while? Do you still have spark? Compression?<br /><br />Good luck!

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it has good compression 125,125,125,130. It idled fast with the muffs so I turned it down, then when I backed into the lake and put it gear it died. Sounded like it was boggin down.

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why do you think after it died in the lake I coud;n't get it started again?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Dhadley asked "was it running out of the water as you backed into the lake"?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I was parked in my driveway and started it. It ran for like 5 mins. I then took it to the boat ramp. I backed the boat about halfway, to get the lower unit in the water. I fired up the engine. It was running but I did notice the rpm's seemed very low this time. I attempeted to back it further I put the enigine in gear and it hesitated. But then I ran the throttle. I put it back in netural and it died right there. Have no idea, then couldn't get it started again.(To note: this is a long shaft and I have not had this in the water just on muffs this was my first time on my boat.) The water came up on my shaft to about 4 inches from the 2 pee holes underneath the cowling. Just to see if that might have had an effect. Thanks guys for your help. Should I just change the idle higher?? Or raise the enigne and suggestions.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

AFishin69....The reason your idle was higher on the muffs was because there was no back pressure on it. You need to have that back pressure when you adjust the idle, and I think you have to be in gear, maybe, check your manual. Those two pee holes your talking about are the back pressure relief holes, it's best not to bury those under the water for too long. I would try to get it running on the muffs again, bump up the idle, then put it in the water and follow proper idle adjust procedure. Good Luck.