I’m ready to start the seahorse!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some water will mist out of the exhaust relief at idle !!------If you were skiing behind the boat water will pour out of that hole.-----It is easy to make mistakes and assumptions on outboard motors and that can destroy motors. .

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Does this engine have a tell tale? And can I remove the thermostat and run it to see if water is coming through?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Back in those days folks maintained the motors.------They were more expensive then they are today.----Tell tales were not needed.-----Many motors fitted with tell tales have overheated too.

lindy46

Captain
No tell-tale. Just the exhaust relief port. If water isn't blubbering out that port, something is wrong.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Can I remove the thermostat and run it with it off to see if water is getting there

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not a good idea.-----Is the exhaust cover on the side of the block staying cool , yes or no ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Service bulletin says 50:1 is OK.----Parts book says that internally a 63 is the same as a 64 model as well.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Go to the top of the forum page and click on top secret files. Then go to the second Fiberglassics link shown — should find it informational. The plug for your motor, for example, is a Champion J4J (replaced by J4C). Torque values are also shown.

Your motor sounds to me like it should. For safety, I would replace at least the impeller in the lower unit (the water pump). You are getting some water out the exhaust port on the back of the leg, which is proper, and you are obviously not finding the surface of the head too hot.

You may, however, be running cold — thermostat stuck open. On page 53 of the Fiberglassics reference, there is a parts blow up showing the location of the thermostat on top of the head, as described by Racerone. I would take it out as he suggested and try it. It may be stuck open, giving you cold running. If you have an infrared temp gun, you should find running temps around 130-140F. (160F would be too hot). If in doubt, replace the thermostat.

When you know you have a working t.stat (and a new water pump), I would try cold starting with the automatic choke just for grins. It’s an interesting system.