hydrolic tilt motor help!

dentra

Cadet
The fitting on my tilt cylinder broke so I replaced it, filled the pump back up with oil and all worked fine! I was raising and lowering the motor a few times to bleed out any air (according to my repair manual) then all of the sudden the pump motor just stopped working! when I hit the switch i can hear a click that sounds like it is coming from the pump but thats all! anyone have any ideas where I should start on trying to fix this?? Thanx!

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hydrolic tilt motor help!

check out this thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=498050

i had the tilt/trim issue yesterday and these guys helped me out.
My problem was a bad connection on the wire to the relays.
Under the cowl just before the relay I unplugged and clean the wire connections
plugged back in and it worked. Got lucky. Read the thread and you might get
ideas about whether it is an electrical relay issue or a tilt/trim motor issue. Good luck.

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

motor size? year? assuming its a force? 3 or 2 wire electircal motor? any info can just help us give you a more accurate way to trouble shoot/test the system the thread above is for a 2 wire system wouldnt help at all on a 3wire system or even on the other 2 wire system aka LDrive system.

RRitt

Captain

The fitting on my tilt cylinder broke so I replaced it, filled the pump back up with oil and all worked fine! I was raising and lowering the motor a few times to bleed out any air (according to my repair manual) then all of the sudden the pump motor just stopped working! when I hit the switch i can hear a click that sounds like it is coming from the pump but thats all! anyone have any ideas where I should start on trying to fix this?? Thanx!

if it only works in one direction then check the relays. If it doesn't work in either direction check the circuit breaker. If both of those look good then hot-wire the motor straight to a battery.

dentra

Cadet

Thanks for the help turns out it was just the circuit breaker that tripped! but its a little wierd because thats the first thing I checked it was tripped and I reset it and nothing (it must have tripped again) because today I opened up the motor reset the breaker and it worked fine up and down quite a few times!! I am wondering if when I was going up and down with it after I replaced the band fitting on the cylinder I over heated it which caused the breaker to trip and would not let me reset it right away until everything cooled down??????? does that sound feasable??????

RRitt

Captain

Thanks for the help turns out it was just the circuit breaker that tripped! but its a little wierd because thats the first thing I checked it was tripped and I reset it and nothing (it must have tripped again) because today I opened up the motor reset the breaker and it worked fine up and down quite a few times!! I am wondering if when I was going up and down with it after I replaced the band fitting on the cylinder I over heated it which caused the breaker to trip and would not let me reset it right away until everything cooled down??????? does that sound feasable??????

check to make sure all your connections are clean from battery to starter & greound as well as from starter solenoid to trim breaker & relay and from relay ground to engine block.

dentra

Cadet

Thanks RRitt,
Did that today and a little corroded but not bad cleaned them all up and all seems good!