Hydrofoil stabilizer or not?

marlinpruett

Cadet
Re: Hydrofoil stabilizer or not?

I have a Triton VT17 witth 75 Optimax on a 6 inch J plate and had the same problem.
I tried all the usual sugested solutions with no great solutions. I installed a small set of Smart tabs No porpoise, slight speed increase! highly recommend.

bluka43

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hydrofoil stabilizer or not?

Update: during the past few weeks I raised the motor up on the transom 1 hole. This puts the anti-cavitaion plate approximately 1" above the bottom of the boat. Removed the prop to obtain the following: It is a Ballistic, 3 blade SS, 13-1/2" dia x 17 pitch. Yesterday the lake was as calm as glass with no wind, so the wife and I took the boat out. The results are WOT = 5300 RPM & 44 MPH (speedometer)and no porpoising. Trimmed up until it just starts to porpoise, still WOT = 5500 RPM & 47 MPH. Trimmed back down to obtain smooth ride. (naturally the RPM and Speed dropped to before). Hole shot test = Zero to plane in 5 seconds. Incidentally, in my original post I had stated that I really didn't want to install trim tabs. I have been reading articles about Nauticus Smart Tabs SX and at least have opened my mind to that idea if it takes that to stop the porpoising at WOT, trimmed out.....I'll do it.