Hydrofoil on a FM165 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftychevy

Cadet
Are any of you guys running a Hydrofoil on your boats.
And does it make much difference?
I have a FM165 with a Mercury60elpt Bigfoot 4-stroke, and my dealer says I shouldn't need one. I'd like too hear what everybody has too say.
Thanks.

gjblanchard

Cadet
Re: Hydrofoil on a FM165 ?

I've got a cobra "angler" plate on my FM165 (it's got a 50 ELPTO). It gets me up on plane quicker at the expense of about 1 mile per hour top speed. Not sure I need it but I like it.

shiftychevy

Cadet

I just find it takes awhile too get up on plane when loaded with gear and 3 big guys in the boat.
The rest of the time it's fine.

JOEMANSLOWE

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a FM-175DC w/ 115-hp.
Never had an issue getting "up on plane" but did experience porpoising in rougher water. Purchased the SE SPORT 300 ($59.99 @ Cabelas) and yes did have to drill 4 holes in the cavitation plate. However, why did I wait so long to get one? ZERO porpoising even in the roughest of water. Much more durable than the Stingrays or other manufacturers version and not as wide and long. It will obviously add about 4-5" to the overall length of the boat so make sure you've got the room in the garage for the added length.

shiftychevy

Cadet

I bought the SE SPORT 300 and couldn't be happier. It planes almost instantly. It seems faster as well. I haven't had a chance to try it on the GPS yet.
Thanks guys.

JOEMANSLOWE

Seaman Apprentice

Shiftychevy,
Glad to hear you had the same opinion on the SE300.
I was curious as to why your FM165 has a "Big Foot" motor. They are primarily used on pontoon boat boats....
Is it spring yet?????

shiftychevy

Cadet

I got the Big Foot motor because the price was right. He sold it too me below cost. It has great thrust,trolls well, tops out at 34mph at 6000rpm.
I had read that the big foot worked really well in the Deep-V boats. It's just a slightly smaller version of the 75/90/115hp four stroke,same gear ratio. I'm quite happy with it. I have 3 big guys and gear most trips out.

If I had the chance to do it again. I would buy the Mercury 90hp four-stroke.
I can't wait for spring either.
Have a great day.
Robert.

shiftychevy

Cadet

I recently bought a new Mercury Spitfire Prop (4-blade) new design. It claims 40% more thrust with quicker acceleration, and virtually eliminates blow out during sharp cornering. I can't wait to try it.

mwilds

Recruit

I recently bought a new Mercury Spitfire Prop (4-blade) new design. It claims 40% more thrust with quicker acceleration, and virtually eliminates blow out during sharp cornering. I can't wait to try it.

Chevy, How did that prop worl out for you. I have the 50 horse mercury on mine. I have been thinking of changing props, but don't want to spend money on one that dosen't work.
Mike

shiftychevy

Cadet

The Spitfire prop works great. Works very well, as advertised.
It cost about $200.00 here. The best money I ever spent on my boat.
Planes almost instantly, no blow out.

Rob.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I bought my boat, the previous owner had one of those hydrofoil thingy on. But he also had the wrong prop too.

My boat is a FM165 with a Merc 60 4-stroke, standard.

Anyways, the prop was 17 pitch if remember correctly. I put on a 12p prop and it did wonders. I removed the wings.

Also, it appears your boat is faster than mine. My boat gets 31.xx MPH on GPS. But if the water is smooth as glass, I will hit 33.xx MPH on GPH.

This is with just me (155lbs) and standard fishing gear, with half tank of gas.

shiftychevy

Cadet

I bought a Lowrance fish finder/GPS unit this year. BoatNoobie You are correct on the speed. 31.xx MPH on GPS, and 32-33 MPH in perfect conditions. I was using a hand held GPS unit last year, and a 3 blade prop. Loaded up with gear,3 guys,and a full tank of fuel, 30MPH max.

shiftychevy

Cadet

What are your RPMs like at WOT with the 12p prop?
Mine is a 13p(Black Max 14x13 three blade(6000-6100rpm)32-33MPH WOT
Spitfire 14X13 four blade(5600-5700rpm)30-31MPH WOT

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2002 Mercury Bigfoot ELPTO 2 Stroke, had 20 hours on when i bought it last year! for $1100!!! i have a 18.8 Lowe Olympic semi V i put it on, got the 17p prop for it and runs almost 40! maybe a tad too fast! i have been thinking of getting a hyrdofoil as well

Status
Not open for further replies.