hydraulic steering install

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to install hydraulic steering to my 1998 19.5 hawk bass boat with a 1999 200 EFI on the back. which model do you recommend? I am also unsure how big the pumps on these would be as I do not have a ton of room in the back compartment. look for ward to your advice.

thanks duff

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: hydraulic steering install

I am looking to install hydraulic steering to my 1998 19.5 hawk bass boat with a 1999 200 EFI on the back. which model do you recommend? I am also unsure how big the pumps on these would be as I do not have a ton of room in the back compartment. look for ward to your advice.

thanks duff
I put the Teleflex SeaStar Pro system on mine and absolutely love it. The smaller versions SeaStar and BayStar have a tendency to drift as the fluid cycles through the pump. It is something that you get used to easily and not a major problem. Mine does not drift at all and I now set my aft Zinc to straight in line with the engine because there is absolutely no torque drift or feedback.

The only draw back is with Jack Plates, Make sure that your plate does not interfere with the ram with the engine tilts. If you have a hydraulic lift you can just make sure you raise the plate before you tilt. Buy and carry extra fittings if it does because sooner or later you will forget and bust a fitting off.

Usually anything over a 5" setback is O.K. anything less can be a problem. I had a PL-65 hydraulic plate that was a 5" and I finally took the plate off. On a Bass Boat it should not be a problem because the transom setup is different.

Oh yeah, the pump is in the helm but you can add a power steering pump if you want. I don't see a need for it under 25 ft or less than 350 hp (combined).

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so?
The pump is in the helm, so there is not a bigger pump/reservoir in the back? how big is the pump on the Teleflex SeaStar Pro system? thanks I will look into it how hard would this be to install? what is the power steering pump (is that what I am picturing in the back of the boat?) I have been looking at these online but it is hard to tell for sure with out seeing them and touching them to get an idea of what it will take to install them.

thanks again duff

sschefer

Rear Admiral

To install the SeaStar pro system you need to first remove your existing helm and cable(s). They provide a template for the new helm and you'll need to use a hole saw to enlarge the exiting hole (in most cases). Simply mount the new helm where your old one was. It does stand about an inch taller than my old stock Teleflex rack system but it is all self contained so other than running and hooking up the hoses theres nothing more to do on that end.

On the engine side, for the SeaStar systems, you remove your existing steering rod from the steering tube on the engine. You replace it with the SeaStar hydraulic ram kit by sliding it into the engine mount steering tube that you took the old steering rod out of.

A single bolt connects it to the stearing arm on your engine. Hook up the hoses remembering to reverse port and starboard from what they are at the helm, add fluid at the helm using the provided fluid and adapter kit, bleed the system according to the instructions and you are good to go.

Should you decide that in the future, you need steering assist, you can add an inline pump system but I doubt you'll need it for anything under 350 hp.