hydraulic steering drifting

Hi guys,
Wander if anyone has had any ideas with this one.
I have a hynautic hydraulic steering system on a 175hp mariner. when going slow steering works easily when going fast turning right is fine but when you try to turn left you keep turning the wheel and little happens as though the oil is pushing past the ram seals or possilby the valve is'nt shutting properly there are no leaks, could it need bleeding. if so what oil do they use and does have anyone have a bleed sequence.
it has been sat for a while and not used.
cheers dom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hydraulic steering drifting

you either have a hydrolic leak, or you system need bleeding, or bad helm. i believe transmission fluid.

iI suspect it may be a worn pump unit if you are staionary and turn the steering slowly it does'nt steer but if you turn quickly it does not sure if you can overhaul those units

bundick

Cadet

I believe in the Helm unit itself there is a small valve that directs the flow in one direction or the other.
I had an experiece with a Power steering unit similar.
A lever opens a small valve and the valve is made up of an "O' ring and seat.
If you tear into this thing you may find you can replace an "O"ring on some sort of valve. The 'O' rings are special to the right kind of oil your using.
NAPA probably can help you with the O rings.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I might actually be the guy that built the helm. It would help to know which helm model you have. I sort of suspect it is a h-50 series. That one has a round bell-shaped black body. Sound about right?

A generic answer to you r question is it is possible the piston seal is leaking in the ram, but much more likely that the helm is leaking internally. Before going any further, I have to say that ALL hydraulic helms leak internally to some degree. It is just a matter of how much is too much. All Hynautic helms were tested at the factory for volumetric efficiency at 950PSI. But wear takes it's toll.

The 50 series helms have a shuttle piston that slides back and forth inside the T-body on the rear every time you change steering direction. That piston is fitted to extremely close tolerances and any attempts at repairing it usually results in making it worse. You are supposed to replace the entire T-body assembly if it needs repair.

www.charment.com is the parts distributor. Morse Controls, owner of Hynautic sold out to Teleflex and Teleflex obsoleted most stuff.

I am 1500 miles from home, but if I can be of more help after Christmas, send me a PM.