HVAC Tech info

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
R22 just took a big hike in price. 2 months ago a 30# jug was $66. Last week a jug cost me $85. Yesterday, my supplier pushed it up to $106! Then they said it is going to jump again in June.

So anyone having problems with or thinking about a new unit. Now is the time to get it done,,,,,,or it is going to cost a lot more in a couple of months.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: HVAC Tech info

YIKES! Prolly time to find another supplier, or have they all increased their prices as well ?

I recently had the cooling systems repaired at a couple of condos which i'm about to lease, they took me to the cleaners on that. :(

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

R22 is going the way of R12. I have even heard that R134a is on the list soon.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yeah Vlad, it is going to be that way everywhere. Europe is to phase out all of their R22 by 2010. The US is scheduled for 2020, but intending on making that date earlier. I feel it is mostly a money game to get people to shell out more money for the newer units.

There is drop in replacement for R22, but it is about 3 or 4 times of what R22 is now. It won't be long before it will be competitive in price as R22.

R134a does not have any cholorine gas in it so I doubt if it will ever be made obsolete. It was the replacement for R12.

Right now there is so many different types of gas that it is hard to know what is compatable with each other and their oils. A Real Pain in the Arse!