Hurricane sd217 docking light cover...how do I re-attach it?

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,

The glass docking light cover came off. It was laying on the bow in front of the light fixture. I don't know how it came off. I can't figure out how it re-attaches . There's just the glass cover with a clear gasket.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Hurricane sd217 docking light cover...how do I re-attach it?

I don't know exactly how they're attached but I've had similar problems with the lens detaching from a light before and I cleaned the surfaces and reattached it using epoxy..... worked great and lasted for years.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hurricane sd217 docking light cover...how do I re-attach it?

Thanks NelsonQ,

You hit it. I contacted Hurricane and they directed me to the manufacturer who suggested using locktite marine epoxy. However, rather than use the epoxy which would permanently bond the lens to the fixture, I'm going to use DAP silicon marine sealant. This will allow me to remove the lens cover in the future if I need to. The lens cover was originally attached by silicon and not epoxy per the technician.

Weirdness, the cover was slapped on to the fixture with just silicon with no retainer. No guys at West Marine said they had never seen a docking light done like that.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden