Hurricane is not backing warranty

luretosser

Recruit
I have a 2001 Hurricane REF with a 200 Optimax outboard which the boat is rated for and what was on it when we bought it new from Hardin Marine in California in 2003.

We have had many small problems with this boat that most have been resolved over time.

The main problem is the transom continues to crack near the motor brackets on the top portion of the transom. The cracks are approximately 6-8 inches long and about half the width of a dime. There are also large cracks in the battery compartment at the transom that are fiberglass. None of these cracks are just gelcoat cracks.

The first time we had it fixed under warranty, the second time fixed under warranty from the boat shop Anglers Marine in Anaheim (who fixed it both times.).

Now the third time Hurricane wants to only pay out $3000. The estimate is $4500-4800 because both Anglers Marine and Orange County Boat Repair say that based on what they know and can see it is a structual defect in the making of the boat (transom to weak/not supported). A third party boat shop also told me it appeared to be structual.

I may have bought a lemon Hurricane but dont they have to stand behind the warranty that they advertise. 5 year hull warranty that is good until March of2008.

I appreciate anyones opinoin on this and/or suggestions.

thanks
Dan

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Hurricane is not backing warranty

If you have pulled all the chains at Hurricane without any satisfaction, it would be time to consult legal assistance.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep very detailed records of everything and everyone you've talked to write down every customer support rep's name so you've got some reference to back this up. Keep after them too, March 2008 isn't that far away and you don't want that warranty to run out!

dgohmann

Seaman Apprentice

I hate to tell you this but you're just another fish in a sea of owners with the exact same issues. I have a 2003 FD 188GS, it has been cracking all over since new. I surveyed every Hurricane I came across on my lake, and 6 out of 8 owners reported cracks in various places. The boats ranged in age from late 90's to almost showroom new. I don't feel like typing out my whole story as it is depressing, but basically in the end Hurricane told me that gel coat cracks are not structural only cosmetic and therefore are not covered. They also went on to say that simply dropping a beer can on the floor will cause cracks (their response when a crack from wall to wall across the boat appeared in the floor). Bottom line is you are right, they do not stand behind their products. I am by no means a picky owner either, but sometimes I wish I was, maybe I would have gotten a replacement boat out of this. My 1989 Sea Ray with a rotted out floor had fiberglass in better shape when I traded it in in 2004 compared to the fiberglass on my 2003 in 2007. Hurricane will never be recommended by me to anyone. Message me if you wish to discuss this any further.

Dan G

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know California has a Lemon Law for automobiles. If I remember right, after it is repaired a certain number of times and the problem shows up agian the dealership has to replace the vehicle. Check with the state and find out if the law applies to watercaft too.