Hurricane in wet slip

dxc64042

Cadet
I've got a 2008 198 that I bought with the intention of putting in a slip. At the time I didn't know anything about osmosis or give much thought about how fast slime builds up on the hull in a slip. So my new plan is to maybe
put it in the slip around Wednesday or so and take it out Sunday after using. My thinking is with this approach hopefully I won't have to worry about bubbles developing in the gel coat and I can clean the slime off when it
starts to build up. I don't want to put bottom paint on it. Has anyone had experience with a Hurricane in a wet
slip without bottom paint and how did it work out? The slip is in a fresh water marina up north. If the growth
doesn't build up to fast I may leave it in for a couple weeks and take it out and clean it. Also would it be helpful to wax it or does the wax come off quickly when in a slip? Thanks for any advice.
Dan

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hurricane in wet slip

I don't have experience with a Hurricane, my FDGS202 is in a boat house. But I used to have my Glastron I kept on the water for the summer in Maine. We pulled it every month, cleaned it up and waxed it and didn't have any issues. But I'll admit it wasn't fun cleaning it. I used to clean it with MEK, rewash and wax it each time. I didn't have any problem with blistering etc. I used to hear wax and don't wax. I waxed and it worked for me. Sitting in the sun with oxidation and rain (bilge) were more of a problem and waxing certainly helped. I believe the modern gel coats today are a lot more durable too. If your in the north, maintenance really depends on your lake vs its growth & stain patterns. Overall I think as long as you kept up with it, I don't believe you'd have any real issues. A covered wet slip would be "very" helpful though. PS Keep the issue of leaving the motor in the water in mind as well. Finally, Krud Cutter Rust Remover works great on light stains. Helps me keep up with stains here in N.C.