Hurricane Hull Design and Handling - 2010 Hurricane Sundeck Sport 188

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Hurricane Hull Design and Handling - 2010 Hurricane Sundeck Sport 188

I can tell that the wood is only in a few locations where you might hang speakers, amplifiers, or something you might not want to drill straight into fiber glass. I have seen no wood where there could be standing water. I can tell you there is no other boat that drafts so little water. If you are a fisherman then you know how important this is. If you are into skiing and towing tubes and such, this boat planes like no other!

Wood exists in the bottom of the storage areas only. It can easily be covered in epoxy to prevent water penetration. The rest is fiberglass.

I was concerned too, but as a current owner of an 8 year old Hurricane, could imagine buying anything but.

I'm picking up my 2010 SS188 tomorrow morning - 10:00. I'll let know know how it goes. Can't wait!!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I'm picking up my 2010 SS188 tomorrow morning - 10:00. I'll let know know how it goes. Can't wait!!

Lucky son of ........ Good luck and Congrats Oneida.....

Looking forward to some pics and the feedback....I'm hoping to get mine in 2 weeks....

Last edited:

First off, sorry no pictures - yet. But, we did pick up the new SS188 and it is now sitting in the lift looking very happy to be home at last.

I am currently working on breaking in the motor and am past the "low RPM" phase. We got the Yamaha 115 four stroke and I really like it a lot. Like everyone else, more HP would be nice, but this engine does power the boat nicely and it will offer us everything we need. This biggest difference to me is the noise level. I am going from a 1986 Evinrude 150 on my previous craft, so this 4 stroker is like a dream.

As far as the boat goes, the layout is amazing. Keep in mind that I am going from a closed bow, so it is pretty easy for me to get excited about a deckboat layout. But we just can't go wrong with this boat. My kids and wife lounge around this boat looking like royalty. We are all so thrilled with the comfort and they move around from seat to seat trying out each spot. I can't wait for the warmer weather when we start going out with friends and having a blast in the sun. The big negative is one that we knew about heading into this purchase: No windshield equals a brisk ride. Again, we were fully aware of this so it is no surprise. But, I can remember how we would hide behind the windshield on those cold mornings heading out for walleye. Basically, our plan is remind ourselves to dress considerably warmer than we did on the old boat.

As far as performance goes, I am happy. It does come up on plane quickly and turns nicely. It is obviously great on the drift as well. I was worried that the bow would sit too low for comfort but I do feel comfortable in the way the bow stays up, even when drifting. It handles the chop like any other boat with a lesser deadrise would. My previous boat was an old Florida made bay boat style with practically zero deadrise. So this boat seems quite comfortable to me. I would not expect it to break chop like a Grady White, but again we knew that heading in.

Bottom line: All of my expectations have been met. Our entire family is absolutely thrilled to have this boat. I have no doubt that Nelson Q will be very pleased, especially since this boat is bigger than his previous Hurricane. I will post pictures as I get them and promise to continue my report as we get out more.

As for today, we are getting snow as I write...WHAT? However, this Saturday is the Walleye season opener and the forecast is calling for sunny and 70.

Oneida

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oneida

Thanks for the reply. Seems like all the things I was looking for in the boat are what you've mentioned so I'm pretty excited.

I definitely wanted a 4 stroke as well for noise, but with the 2 stroke DFI, fuel consumption was pretty comparable, and the costs to switch to a 4 stroke in the same HP rating was higher than I wanted to spend.

I think the 115HP 4 stroke is a good mate for this boat, as my 115 HP ran my other boat quite fast. I wanted more HP strictly to handle the other reason I bought the boat, and that's to have 2 families on board with a kid or two in the tube and not be running in the higher RPM range.

I totally appreciate the lack of windshield and we did consider it as part of our decision making. Fair trade off, and as you've mentioned, simply adding a few more layers fixes that problem.

Unfortunately, I spoke to my dealer this AM, and my boat won't leave the factory until mid-May (was supposed to be delivered to me next week):(

So my wait continues.

As you've mentioned Oneida, it's snowing here too today....but supposed to return to Spring like conditions tomorrow. I guess in the meantime I'll have to jump a ride in a friend's boat for a few more weeks.

Enjoy the boat and looking forward to the pics.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thumps up for Hurricane over here.

I am the proud owner of a Hurricane and could not imagine myself with any other boat anytime soon.

I have had mine for 4 years. I am fortunate enough to own the biggest model available, a 2003 Sundeck 260 with twin Yammies. Other than wishing I had more power (twin 115's, but rated for twin 225's :D) I have absolutely no complaints with my boat. I still do around 40 knots with the limited HP and the gas lasts for days, or maybe that has something to do with the 100++ Gallon gas tank, OUCH:eek:, but for the weight of this boat when full or wet at over 6k lbs it does admirably. It even handles pretty decent in fairly rough conditions as I have gone out when the conditions are 20 knots with a moderate to heavy chop here in Miami, not ideal but it performed courageaously!!

I can't think of a more complete boat out there, and for those worried about the wood in the storage compartments, I would say that it has not been an issue with mine yet ;).

Now, if I could just find a way to afford twin 225's.........

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I have had mine for 4 years. I am fortunate enough to own the biggest model available, a 2003 Sundeck 260 with twin Yammies.

Nice boat...... A little too big for my needs but a sweet boat. I was a Hurricane owner (2002 GS170) and soon to be owner (2010 SS188) with a 175HP Merc.

Have a few friends with Hurricanes too.... Most versatile boat available.

Glad to see more Hurricane owners on here.

Well, its time for a brief update on the new 188. I finally got some fresh blood in it - fish blood that is! When fishing is one of the preferred activities, the boat will get a little red on the inside, nothing we couldn't wipe up quickly.

I need to confirm that the boat does not reign supreme in the heavy chop, nor would I expect it to. But beating through the heavy chop can be done if you get caught in the nasty stuff. As far as general boating goes, the hull handles really really well. It seems to be much smoother riding (except for the heavy stuff) than I would imagine for a boat of this style.

Overall, we are still grinning from ear to ear.

Quick question: My livewell does not fill up. The pump runs, have checked the valve inside the hull, but water does not make it up to the live well. I have even tried running the pump while the boat is in reverse to see if the pump needs priming - to no avail.

Any ideas as to why the pump is not filling the livewell? Oh, the inlet valve into the livewell is open also....

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oneida

Great to hear your feedback on the 188. I finally sea trial mine this Sat. It seems like years ago I ordered it.

Can't help you on the livewell situation but I'll be splashing it and playing around all weekend so when I'm back near a computer next Tues I'll tell you my experience with my livewell and see if that's the standard. (actually, I'll get the sea trial captain/boat techs to verify it with me before I tow for home)

Nice to hear about chop. It was a concern as to whether or not it would slap in a bit of rough water but seeing as how it's rare I every have to deal with anything greater than 12 inches or so, I doubt I'll need to worry.

BTW.... how long was the breaking procedure on your motor?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Quick question: My livewell does not fill up. The pump runs, have checked the valve inside the hull, but water does not make it up to the live well. I have even tried running the pump while the boat is in reverse to see if the pump needs priming - to no avail.

Any ideas as to why the pump is not filling the livewell? Oh, the inlet valve into the livewell is open also....

See if the valve inside the bilge is open. Mine has a manual valve just forward of the H2O pick-up on the stern.

Yup, I've checked the valve in the bilge and it's open. When the pump is running I think I can actually feel some suction at the intake screen, but nothing really strong. I'm still mystified as to why the livewell is not filling.

Further report, especially for NelsonQ and other new owners:

I have now had the boat out in some pretty good chop. We are talking 3 footers with a very short space between waves. As suspected, if you try to run the boat hard through this its going to slap pretty hard. I did not expect anything else. I got pretty wet too, but the waves were coming somewhat from the starboard - port side stayed dry. What was really important to me is that the bow can easily be kept above the waves when underway. That was my main concern. Indeed, if this boat is underway, the bow can be safely kept up. I did not, however, sit still in these conditions - so no report from a drift. Honestly, the blow that we had to motor through was pretty severe and I was not about to drift in it. I do like this boat - ALOT.

Last night we swam off it for the first time. Let me tell you, this craft is the ideal swim platform with a motor. We had a great time. You can walk all around it, jump off from pretty much anywhere, and the ladder is excellent. BTW, we only used the stern ladder.

Nelson, I'm looking forward to your report when you're able. I will post pictures soon!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oneida

Finally got my boat this weekend. I'll post some pics and the story (lengthy) to a new thread in the next day or so. (forgot the cable for my camera)

Well first let me give you my inputs on the livewell. When I had mine out for sea trial, water came splashing out of it. So, not knowing how it worked (never had a livewell before), we did some investigation.

The valve (bilge area) was OPEN from the intake under the boat. The drain valve (bilge area) was closed. So water was feeding (I assume by water pressure alone) to fill the livewell. This happened with the livewell pump off.

I reversed the order, to drain but did no further investigation. I suspect, that what I'd do to use it is to have both open so it would fill so far, and the overflow would drain to prevent the spillage. Then when stopped/fishing I'd run the pump to continue to cycle the water.

I'd suspect if that doesn't work, you've got a blockage in the line feeding from the intake to the livewell. Perhaps while trailered you could verify with some pressurized air to validate clear passage (I'd keep it low as I don't know what the pump handles)

On the chop, I only experienced less than a foot, but understand what you've stated. Rougher ride than my last Hurricane deck boat but it had a Deep V hull, and handled the chop much easier.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oneida

We also went swimming for the first time yesterday. It was great having the bow ladder to keep the kids who were constantly in and out at the bow and not running through from the stern to bow soaking the carpets.

We used both ladders and while the bow is a little more difficult, its a great boat to use for that purpose. We had 3 kids and four adults, and plenty of room for more.

One thing I did notice however is that the stereo must have been wired incorrect as the radio presets, etc all disappear when you turn off the master power switch. Obvious they've hooked up the switched power, but not the constant to keep the memory intact.

Nelson,

I have the same issue with my radio presets.

I am thinking the samething about a kink in the hose for the livewell. Maybe it got pinched when they set to top part of the hull onto to lower portion. That will be my next step. I'll let you know what happens when I get time to play with this.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Nelson,

I have the same issue with my radio presets.

I'm hoping to have a look at it this weekend. If I do, I'll post what the remedy was. As mentioned, I'm certain it is that they didn't feed a constant for the memory.