Hummingbird mystery.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Immediately after the recent storms and flash floods The Hideout's hummingbird population dropped like a rock. I have gone back to a single feeder and rarely see more than a couple at a time. In April there might have been as many as a dozen fighting over three feeders at morning and evening rush.

Was it the rash of severe storms? We got almost 20 inches of rain in a 10 day period. This is the wettest Spring in all the time I have lived here.

Is it the prolific bloom of wildflowers? Every field is gold or red or blue or some combination with a wide variety of blooms.

Were many of the birds here in April transients who have moved on north? I don't recall a major drop in population in Spring, and I have been feeding these li'l' critters for about 15 years.

Is there something wrong with my nectar? I have been making nectar the same way for years. Boil the water before mixing, scald the bottles before filling. Nectar is 1/2cu. sugar in a 1 liter cup, then fill with boiled water.

My housekeeper tells me that several of her other clients nearby have experienced the same thing.

Are other North Texans having the same thing?

Any other ideas?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Hummingbird mystery.

They probably like those gold, red, and blue fields. :) I make my nectar a little stonger, 1 full c to a liter. Might be enough to entice them back. The more calories the better.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

The abundance of flowers would be my first guess too. Birds prefer their natural foods over feeders if easily available. Our local songbirds go AWOL from the feeders when their natural foods are in season.

Coors

Captain

it's weird here, in north fla. No usual humming birds, but huge pilated wood peckers are in the yard.