Humminbird 787c2 doesn't like cell phones

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
While fishing today I decide to call my son and rub it in about the great fishing he was missing. The cell battery was low, so I plugged the phone car adapter into my 12 volt utility receptacle in the boat. This is when the Humminbird 787c2 decided to chance differant colors on the screen and the depth reading started to jump all over the board. I unplugged the cell phone, and everything went back to normal.
What would cause this and what can I add to my receptacle to keep this from happening again?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Humminbird 787c2 doesn't like cell phones

I'd do some more testing first to determine if the noise is entering from the power plug or being transmited due to close proximity. When the cell phone is on the leash, you might be transmitting closer to what is picking up the noise. Do numerous positional tests without the 12v power to cell phone. If none of that testing indicates a problem, then look back at what can be done with the power.

HB provides a power cable with a integral choke to remove noise. It is round and is about the size of a very fat quarter. It is provided with their new SI units, but probably not with your 787. If you do not have that type of power cable, call tech support and discuss problem. They may send you one for free. Otherwise it is probably about $15.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Humminbird 787c2 doesn't like cell phones

Thanks John with a starting point to investigate the problem. I can live without the fishfinder while I am on the cellphone, but it's irritating if there is a work around. Will look into this power cable and see if it will work in my application.