Hull Thickness

snakeriverfisher

Seaman Apprentice
How thick is the hull on your aluminum boat? How rough of water can you safely boat in? I had a sales man tell me that a 19-20 foot boat with .100 hull was not safe in rough water, he said "the hull would crumble", I said "WHAT?, Thank you for your help, good bye". So I was just curious especially with the great lakes guys, what kind of weather and waves your boat has been through.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hull Thickness

How thick is the hull on your aluminum boat? How rough of water can you safely boat in? I had a sales man tell me that a 19-20 foot boat with .100 hull was not safe in rough water, he said "the hull would crumble", I said "WHAT?, Thank you for your help, good bye". So I was just curious especially with the great lakes guys, what kind of weather and waves your boat has been through.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... My ole Starcraft Islander hull is .063",....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Seen many a boat in rough water,mostly like bondos thickness,as long as you aren't flying off the big waves,.63 is fine. What kind of boat was he trying to sell ya?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The sales men are "selling" what they need to sell, but a blanket statement is just untrue. Use common sense when boating and you will be fine!

snakeriverfisher

Seaman Apprentice

Seen many a boat in rough water,mostly like bondos thickness,as long as you aren't flying off the big waves,.63 is fine. What kind of boat was he trying to sell ya?

He was selling Kingfisher, they have a .160 bottom

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Not an Aluminum boat guy.....But .160 is 5/32" thick...it seams to me thats a thick hull for alum boat.......Bondo's only at 1/16" thick!

Salesman wants you to buy a bigger more expensive boat........!

matt167

Rear Admiral

If the statement rang true, there would be a lot of Starcrafts at the bottom of all the great lakes.. I'd bet with enough pounding, could get them to knock a rivet or 2 loose enough to the point it leaks a bit, but nothing a bilge pump couldn't take care of... My dads old Chieftan, was a known leaker where it had a dent in the bow, and it would only take on less than a gallon in an hr period.. That boat was on Lake Ontario in some pretty rough conditions

snakeriverfisher

Seaman Apprentice

If the statement rang true, there would be a lot of Starcrafts at the bottom of all the great lakes..

that was what I was thinking when I hung up the phone,I just get sooo frustrated that these salesman think I'm just going to believe all the BS they are flingen around.Like the other day a guy tried telling me StarCraft doesn't make riveted boats anymore,

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mine is 0.100. Easy to see what the numbers are. Just go to an alum boat mfgrs www and look up the specs on his products. Course the real thing is the type of alum. Lots of different types and that affects the variance in thickness; as does size, application and all.

Mark