HULL SUPPORTS

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need to support my hull while I'm working inside the boat, It is on a trailer with rollers<br />it seam to flex as I walk around, any sheap ideas<br />I was thinking of jacking the rear up and set it down on a set of horses ??

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: HULL SUPPORTS

Mine flexed while I worked on it. When I layed in my new stringers, I started with the farthest from center stringers first. I layed in each side, and let cure overnight. As I worked my way in (I had to lay in six stringers), the hull flexed less because it was gaining rigidity. You don't have to worry about it flexing while you are in it, just make sure the stringers are the right shape, and don't glass them all in at the same time. You could have some stringers curing with a weird hull shape beig caused by your body weight. There really isn't a way to prevent flexing unless you got a factory mold to lay the hull in, otherwise you could spend way too much time shoring up the underside of the hull. Just make sure you keep an eye on the hull bottom shape while you are working on it, to prevent any hooking, warping, twisting, and bowing. Good luck....

1965MT

Seaman

I'm going to install the transom on mine first. Once it is in place I am going to support the boat at the transom and at the farthest point forward that I can. My theory is that the shape will be as close to "natural" as it can be in that position. I was thinking of building supports on casters but I will probably just support those points from the trailer itself. Then I am going to put in the stringers and sole. Once all that is done the boat should be pretty true and I will let it back on the trailer bunks. Mine may be different because the top is still connected to the hull. Let us know what you come up with...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah, on mine I had the top off, completely gutted. It was like a wet noodle. I figured it was relatively true when it was put on the roller trailer, so as long as I didn't disturb the position, it would stay true...