Hull Reinforcement

AltaMira

Cadet
Hey folks, I am new to this forum, but from reading it I would think someone might be able to help me. I have a 16' fiberglass molded lapstrake hull that I want to reinfornce from the inside with glass. The bilge is obviously not smooth due to the lap strake. My plan is to make it smooth by filling in the lap strake with PB or something, then apply the fiberglass to a smooth surface instead of having to bend the glass over all of the strakes. Any suggestions? Any recipes for polyester PB? I would appreciate any help.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hey man, thanks for posting your own thread! Is there a reason for putting more glass on it? If so, what is it? I can imagine how hard it would be to glass over all those angle and i guess if you dont have to then that would be the way I would go!

NoKlu

Re: Hull Reinforcement

Why are you reinforcing the glass?

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have to do this, I would suggest laying in Arex foam core or it's equilivent
inside the hull, fairing down the foam, and then glassing. This will save some
weight, resin, and a lot of grinding.
Is the hull really that weak as is? This is a lot of damn work and expense you're setting yourself up for. Is this boat worth it? GH

AltaMira

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys, the boat originally had a foam core sandwiched between the deck and the hull. The foam was so waterlogged it had to be removed, the deck was rotted too. Now the support from the "sandwich effect" is gone, so I do want to beef it up a bit.

NoKlu

On some boats the foam is structural and on others it is just for flotation. You can put a new deck in and pour expanding foam in. I don't think adding more glass will give you the structure you are looking for. Was there any stringers in the boat?

AltaMira

Cadet

There were no stringers in the boat at all. Where can you get the expanding foam?

NoKlu

Do a search on pour in flotation foam. To Simplify, you build a new deck with supports to hold it up then drill or cut 2" holes in the floor in various places,then get the 2 part liguid foam, mix it and pour it in the holes. The foam expands and fills the space between the hull and deck. Glass the hole shebang in and your fishin. Way easier than trying to glass the strakes. You could do it in sections so you've got some control of the expansion.