Hull Painting Sequence on Tinny - 1987 Northport Troller

dzurinko

Seaman
I'm gonna start buying my painting materials for the repaint of my outside hull. Its a 1987 Mirrorcraft Northport Troller 16' tinny. This is a TRAILERED tinny that only goes in freshwater. I have fairly good original paint but there are dock scratches and tiedown rubs that caused small bare spots on the hull. Looking for some good brand name products. Here is my understanding from this forum:
1. Zink-Cromate spray on the scratches.
2. Primer on entire hull - Suggestions for primer name/type????????
3. Rustoleum on entire hull. - Is there a marine type or just plane rustoleum? ????
4. Do I sand the hull and if so, when? Before primer? Before final coat? Before zink-cromate? Never? The original paint still has a shine.
5. When do I use vinegar?
As stated above, this boat is NOT for salt water and it sits on a trailer. The sequence for re-painting the sides and bottom is a little cloudy for me. I would like to create a "buy" list of painting supplies by brand name and use a sequenced checklist for painting this boat. HELP?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hull Painting Sequence on Tinny - 1987 Northport Troller

I'm gonna start buying my painting materials for the repaint of my outside hull. Its a 1987 Mirrorcraft Northport Troller 16' tinny. This is a TRAILERED tinny that only goes in freshwater. I have fairly good original paint but there are dock scratches and tiedown rubs that caused small bare spots on the hull. Looking for some good brand name products. Here is my understanding from this forum:
1. Zink-Cromate spray on the scratches.
2. Primer on entire hull - Suggestions for primer name/type????????
3. Rustoleum on entire hull. - Is there a marine type or just plane rustoleum? ????
4. Do I sand the hull and if so, when? Before primer? Before final coat? Before zink-cromate? Never? The original paint still has a shine.
5. When do I use vinegar?
As stated above, this boat is NOT for salt water and it sits on a trailer. The sequence for re-painting the sides and bottom is a little cloudy for me. I would like to create a "buy" list of painting supplies by brand name and use a sequenced checklist for painting this boat. HELP?

WOW that is a lot of questions to answer. There seems to be so many successful sequences to painting a boat that you would have lots of good answers I'm sure. Personally I like automotive primers, paints and such. I'd start with a really good sanding starting with 180 grit paper. Then I'd go to 280 (or there about) and finish up with 400 grit. That way you prepared the surface for the primer coat. Then I'd shoot a really good quality sandable primer. I like PPG's K36 Prima primer. It is really expensive but is a catalyst primer that you add a hardener to and the best I've ever used. It sands like a dream, but is a very good covering primer too. After I spray the primer, I?d wet sand that with 600 grit paper if there are no repairs needed to the finish. Then I?d spray PPG?s Shop Line Base coat color. You can get any color you can imagine. Apply two or three good coats until everything is covered. Then I?d spray at least three coats (or more if you like) of PPG?s multi panel clear coat top coat... The shine will be unbelievable. And if you want it even shinier, you can wet sand that top coat finish with 2000 grit paper and use 3M polishing products. It will look like you dipped it in glass... It is a lot of work, but the finish is very nice and will not peel with most any fuel spills or such...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you want to use Rustoleum type paint, check the last link in my signature below, I think it has the info you're looking for...

dzurinko

Seaman

Thanks for reminding me of this link. Great info.