Hull Detailing/Cleaning issues

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok,

I know that this has been beaten to death a time or two but I am not seeing the answers I have been searching for.

Problem #1. The boat dealership wants $450 to detail my 21' Blue Water Monte Carlo that I just bought for the Exterior and $240 to do the interior. They said they can make it look like new. What products are they using and is it worth spending the $$$ on things like a buffer and such when I usually clean my boat when I pull it out of the water. My hull feels kind of gritty like it was left in the water this last year, and I want it smooth and shiney again. I also want that new boat glow back that they said is easily attainable.

Problem #2. How hard is it really to do small fiberglass patches from the knicks in the fiberglass from either rubbing up or bumping things? They quoted me about $100 a Square inch and im am having a hard time swallowing that.

Problem 3, Who makes, or how do you make, a rolling mount to lake your boat off a trailer to do this work? I want to remove the boat off the trailer and be able to move it around on my garage.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hull Detailing/Cleaning issues

Here in FL the boat detailers get around 15 a foot to wash buff and wax a boat inside and out. Or if you want to do it your self get a 2000 or higher grit count compound a adjustable speed polisher/grinder with a lamb wool head and a days work. Then wash and wax it with a good marine wax I use a Meguires marine cleaner wax in a blue bottle 15.00 at west marine. And you can do the work on the trailer under a shade tree.
As far as the scratches they have gel coat repair kits at west marine.. Good Luck

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the products they use arent expensive its the time and skill involved.

the products do help mind ya but your paying for the guy running the buffer. your paying for the skill of blending your gelcoat repair so no one knows it ever happened

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats true but at almost 33 per foot plus the gelcoat repair I think they are a little crazy dont you.. I get my 27 Tiara washed waxed for 10 a foot. that includes all the rails rod holders cussions teak eveything .. And thats a licensed & insured mobil guy .
So if your concerned about doing it yourself call around to some local detailers see what you get it cant hurt.. Still good luck

sasto

Captain

(1) $450....inside and out, the best job they can do and do it to your approval.

(2) maybe for 1 square inch, but not when they multiply,

Good Luck!

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TTT for any other ideas or thoughts.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

100 a sq inch is high.....gellcoat repairs arent that tough.....just the color match is.

im doing an 07 blue water right now......large parts of the hull are totally gone....as in not there any more.....foam and stringers were hanging in space.

the cost for a proper buffer at harbour freight is around 70 bux and the proper stuff to do it is around 50 bux.....it will last forever.

to clean your boat....use industrial stregnth toilet bowl cleaner....(the stuff from janitorial shops...not the local drug store or hardware store) ...this is the stuff we use for an acid wash....

then just buff the boat.

the gell coat repairs are a little tougher.....post pics and the color scheme of the boat...(chances are it is a two color gellcoat...not paint)

white is not white....and yellow or blue is not yellow or blue. i will have the white formula and the yellow formula in a day or so.