Hull design Question

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice
I know hulls have their shape for a reason, I may not understand it but I know there is a reason. I have not seen other boats with a bow like mine and I was wondering if it is 'cosmetic' or if there is a reason for it, if so whats the reason?300.jpg302.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hull design Question

what brand boat? looks like for stability, maybe cornering.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Your hull has a lot of flare, most commonly called Carolina Flare, excellent for knocking down spray as the bow comes down off a typical swell off the Carolinas. But the hullsides are steeper than a truly traditional Carolina Flare type hull...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

That drastic flare on such a small freeboard boat is so you don't get covered with water spray every time you are running against the wind.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The sharp, deep V bow slices waves while the hard chine shoots the water to the side as mentioned. Result is a soft, dry ride.

Mark

rbh

Fleet Admiral

While I can only see the hull, I am thinking your boat is a ski boat?

What I am thinking is that ski boats have a hull that moves or flattens out the wake, but thats just a guess.

Philster

Captain

Resembles a cathedral hull more than a Carolina Flare. The latter would continue the flare up the gunwales. The former tends to stop and form a chine.

Therefore, it is most like a cathedral hull.

Modified cathedral hull:

TranSport_20_Tside.jpg

Carolina flare:

calybre-boat-25-o1.jpg

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice

Sry I diddnt add it in the post, 1982 16.5' Beachcraft OMC 3.0L 400SS drive
Its running now, not peak but running fairly well, did about 33mph on the gps with a damaged prop (unknown specs)
No Idea on the model of Beachcraft

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

$(KGrHqJ,!o8E63YcCyz+BO0YwFgLoQ~~60_3.jpgresized55.jpg100_5980.jpg

You want flare? Here are a couple of flared bow hulls.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i dont understand the question...

what do you want to know?

the deep v is for "cutting" the water, the hard chine is for stability, and the flair is for anti splash.

so.....what is your question really?.... what do you want to know.?

we are glad to help

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Phil; the flare is what's going on under the gunwales/rail. you almost have a rolled rail, which deflects water down rather than away--which is good for running into the wind.

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice

i dont understand the question...

what do you want to know?

the deep v is for "cutting" the water, the hard chine is for stability, and the flair is for anti splash.

so.....what is your question really?.... what do you want to know.?

we are glad to help

This is what I was wanting to know, thanks to you and the others for the help. Seems nothing but advantages to this design? What are the drawbacks? It cant be all good or all boats would have this design wouldnt they?

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hulls are designed specifically for the use of the craft. Thats why you don't see planning hulls on barges. :D

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Deep V disadvantage is more wet area and less lift so top speed is down and is does not plane at as slow a speed. The hard chine means that in bigger chop the bow will bang rather than continuing to cut into the wave. The flair means less space in the hull so less floatation than a broader hull with less flair would have, that was the same width. It's all choices and some manufacturers get them right better than others for their clientele. I don't know your boat so I couldn't comment on how well it works. Enjoy.