hull design for stability and speed

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to sell my 77 17.5' Glassmaster to buy a newer boat with better reliability and power. I currently do most boating in a section of the upper Potomac River that is wide, calm, and deep - mostly pull kneeboard/wakeboard/tubes, but want more power to pull a skier. I have a Merc-6 1150 but I think it is somewhat worn down as it doesn't develop as much power as I think it should - even after tune up. I would also like to venture into the Chesapeake Bay for rock fishing and crabbing.

I've seen a lot of ski boats and think I know kind of what I want, but two things keep me out of the Bay: 1) reliability and 2) stability. The Bay is shallow and storms can pick up quickly that churn up some decent wave action.

I'm looking for advice about hull shape for both stability in the Bay and acceleration for water skiing. Also wouldn't mind suggestions on fuel-efficient motor selections. Note that I'll be buying used so I can't really consider the newest and best.

Thanks
Greg

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull design for stability and speed

If you want speed and shallow water capability, you do NOT want a tournament type direct or v-drive boat . . . I would look for an older Sanger or Hydrostream, barefoot style, or similar Outboard boat for what you want. If you are after stability, then you need a shallower/flat hull design, this will also give you speed, but expcet to have your teeth knocked out in chop . . . :eek:

Even electronic two strokes are decent on fuel. Inboards are not. EFI I/Os are probably top of the heap unless you are in a brand new OB . . .

oops!

Supreme Mariner

whats shallow? (how deep)

i like weight for stability...but then you sacrifice speed....weight means draft.

how bout an older searay with lots of freeboard....they can handle a lot of carp

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A bay boat may fit your need. Wide and stable and drafts about 12". Most manufactures build them in a 19'6" size. You would hit about 50 mph with the max horsepower. More of a fishing boat than a ski boat though.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't know of any boat that has a shallow enough draft for the river that will not rattle the fillings out of your teeth in the Bay.

A Carolina Skiff or something similar might work but it's a compromise and on most days the open Bay is going to give you a serious spanking in something that that hull configuration.

If your serious about Rockfishing you'd better think about getting something with at least a 20 degree deadrise and a lot of freeboard. Oh, and did I say mention heavy and warm? :D