Hubs still running very warm after re-packing the bearings

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just repacked the bearings for the 1st time but they are still running a little warm compared to normal. Don't have bearing buddies yet but the trailer does have "turbo lube hubs", meaning, they are bathed in 50w oil to supplement cooling (although, the hub wouldn't take much oil). I followed the directions to a "T" but wasn't entirely sure how much grease to add after repacking the bearings. Should I simply pack the hub with as much grease as possible, similar to what Bearing Buddies do?

Also, I didn't replace the inner seals either. I was able to use my fingers to pack the inner bearings, albeit, probably not as good as the "palm" method. Should I go back and just replace the seals anyway and pack the bearings the "right" way?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hubs still running very warm after re-packing the bearings

First you say you repacked the bearings, then you say you didn't take the inner bearing out? You can't possibly repack a bearing without taking the bearing out. Why aren't you pulling the seal and replacing it. You ALWAYS replace the seal when repacking bearings.

Then you say the bearing rides in 50W oil. If they really ride in an oil bath, you don't need grease.

Bifflefan

Commander

I think you a little confused,,
They eather have oil bath or grease, not both.
If they are oil bath then you dont put any grease at all on them, that is why they are warm. you are trapping the heat in them with the grease.
Remove all the grease and clean them in solvent then get all the grease out of the hub, reinstall the bearing and hubs then fill to the proper level with oil and you done.

Bifflefan

Commander

Should I simply pack the hub with as much grease as possible, similar to what Bearing Buddies do?

NO,
When you have bearing that need grease, just do the bearings only. You need the centerof the hub for the heat expansion. other wise the grease will come out where ever it can.
This is the reason i never have used Bearing buddys. I've never had a bearing failure in my life.

utahusker

Cadet

NO,
When you have bearing that need grease, just do the bearings only. You need the centerof the hub for the heat expansion. other wise the grease will come out where ever it can.
This is the reason i never have used Bearing buddys. I've never had a bearing failure in my life.
I was always taught to be very liberal with grease, including axle and hub.:confused:

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I would like to see your instructions that say, repack bearings then fill your resevoir with oil...

I agree, you have gotten confused about what you need to do.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, yes, I am thoroughly confused. I guess I thought ALL tapered roller bearings needed grease to survive but maybe my hubs are OIL-only systems? The directions had me baffled too so I packed the bearings AND added 50w oil but that must not be the right way to do it? There should have been a note stating "DO NOT PACK THE BEARINGS". Here's a link: http://www.tiedown.com/aturbo.html

Should I completely removed every ounce of grease by using a special solvent (what solvent does this?) then just rely on the 50w oil alone to lubricate the bearings???

I'll get new inner seals before the weekend and do it right this time. A buddy of mine suggested it wasn't necessary so I won't listen to him anymore!!!

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Based on what the website shows is that you only use oil, and no grease whatsoever. Semi truck/trailers have used oil only hubs for years and they rack up many miles without failure. That should put your mind at ease.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In 2008 model year Four Winns went to the oil bath hubs as a product improvement. You should be able to run the hubs for four years between lube replacement. The recommended oil to 50w to 90w with 50w synthietic as the prefered.

At this point I would replace seals and bearings (both are cheap) and that way you will not have to worry about not geting all the wheel bearing grease out of the roller bearings.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couldn't I simply soak the bearings in a anti-grease solvent since there is nothing wrong with them? I've heard gasoline is sometimes used???

What about the seal? Can I buy one from Napa? Are they easy to remove and install???

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a difference between marine and auto seals.
The marine ones are usually double lip and the outside metal is coated. Don't forget, you dunk the axles in water, maybe salt, when you launch.
Go down to Home Deposit or Lowes and get some mineral sprits to clean off the bearings. A lot safer than gasoline.

Make sure you know how to adjust the bearing free play. Should have very little, like .010-.020, or realistically, just barely moving in and out. Too tight or loose will cause bearings to fail.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Unless you had some water intrusion, your bearings will be fine. Make sure you check them carefully for pitting. Whenever I replace bearings I always replace the race at the same time.

Ned L

Commander

As Captharv started to point out, if your bearings are running to warm I might also suggest you have them to tight. (Do you know hw to adjust them as you put the hubs back on?) Traditionally, you tighten the hub nut while turning the wheel until the side play on the tire is completely gone, and then back off on the hub nut a bit so that you just start to get perceptable side play when pushing & pulling the tire sideways. (Maybe there is a more 'scientific' way nowadays.)

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yes, yes, I am thoroughly confused. I guess I thought ALL tapered roller bearings needed grease to survive but maybe my hubs are OIL-only systems? The directions had me baffled too so I packed the bearings AND added 50w oil but that must not be the right way to do it? There should have been a note stating "DO NOT PACK THE BEARINGS". Here's a link: http://www.tiedown.com/aturbo.html

Should I completely removed every ounce of grease by using a special solvent (what solvent does this?) then just rely on the 50w oil alone to lubricate the bearings???

I'll get new inner seals before the weekend and do it right this time. A buddy of mine suggested it wasn't necessary so I won't listen to him anymore!!!

Yes, minieral spirits or gasoline and get all of the grease out of the bearings. Or as suggested, just buy new ones. I would not hesitate to clean them and reuse them provided they are stil spinning smoothly...

As Captharv started to point out, if your bearings are running to warm I might also suggest you have them to tight. (Do you know hw to adjust them as you put the hubs back on?) Traditionally, you tighten the hub nut while turning the wheel until the side play on the tire is completely gone, and then back off on the hub nut a bit so that you just start to get perceptable side play when pushing & pulling the tire sideways. (Maybe there is a more 'scientific' way nowadays.)

Now, this is for packed bearings as I have never used the oil lube, but my method is this...

Tighten axle nut until I cannot turn the tire anymore, then back off of the nut 1/4 turn...

May not be the most scientific, but I have never had a failure...

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Warning: Knives are sharp!"

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To adjust trailer bearings you tighten the spindle nut to usually around 15 ft.lbs. while spinning the hub. This seats the bearings and gives you a preload. Back the nut off 1/2 turn and tighten the nut to where it just gets snug, with just the socket in your hand. Install the retainer/keeper and cotter pin. After 100 miles check the bearings for play.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! I went to the local ACE Hardware store and found an aerosol can of brake/grease remover and it worked like magic! I decided to keep the existing triple lip seal (mostly because I didn't have the part number until I took the hub apart and nothing is open on weekends anymore - even NAPA) but I will redo the hubs in the spring with new seals and maybe new bearings. Whoever suggested my retaining nut was probably too tight, you were right on. Therefore, I hand-tightened the nut until it lined up with the cotter pin hole then checked for end play by trying to "wobble" the tire. Everything appeared to be in alginment so I spun the tire by hand to see how long it would rotate and it spun like a dream!!! I took the rig for a 25-mile test run and even launched and retrieved for a fun day of boating and the hubs were very cool and no leaks were noticed.

The best news in all of this? I learned something new and now enjoy working on the boat more.

Have a great winter everyone!!! Thanks again!!!

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess it concerns me a little that you still didn't remove the seals and sprayed the grease removing solvent in the bearings. Are you sure you got all the spray out of the bearings before putting everything back together? The stuff you sprayed in there will break down the oil also.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the concern, however, I didn't spray any solvent inside the hubs. I removed the nuts, washers, and outer bearing cones separately (excluding the inner bearing cones) and sprayed them on my work bench then thoroughly dried them with shop towels and/or high pressure air. I used good old fashioned shop towels to clean the inside of the hubs knowing that solvent would damage the rubber seals. I'm planning to take everything apart once again in the spring to replace the seals while thoroughly cleaning inside the hubs with solvent to make sure all the grease is completely removed. I'll be sure to follow the proper bearing alignment procedure in the spring as well. Thanks again!!!